Author Topic: Teaching to 'be a bear' or sit up and beg  (Read 1448 times)

Offline tritonx

Teaching to 'be a bear' or sit up and beg
« on: November 05, 2010, 04:52:02 AM »
I've been trying to train Fraser to sit on his haunches and sit up with his front legs up (the basic beg position though I prefer 'be a bear' .) He tends to leap up fully on his back legs and I'm trying to get him to sit back on them with upper body upright. Any tips? I don't reward when he comes up full on his back legs. When he's sitting back, he leans his front paws on my hand. How can I manoeuvre him into the sit upright position and also not brace himself for balance on my hand. This should be an easy trick, but he's not getting it yet from my attempts to show him what to do (and I keep sitting there with my paws up looking bear-like  :D

Offline Sarah1985

Re: Teaching to 'be a bear' or sit up and beg
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:03:39 AM »
I would guess that if hes jumping its because the lure is too high and not far enough back. Hold the lure on his nose but if its a treat dont realise it yet. Then move up so hes facing the ceiling but the lure is still touching his nose. From here you move the treat back over his head (not up). Do it really slowly so he can see the direction the treat it going and he should hop up,

You have  to take it really slowly as not all dogs can naturally balance like this. Id start by just rewarding from a little hop from the front legs and ask for bigger and bigger hops till hes up in the position before you work on duration and balance.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:13:44 AM »
Thanks Sarah. I did have a look around online at vids on teaching this trick (and came back to try to delete the post, but couldn't see a way to do that.) I was holding the treat just above his nose. From a couple of different vids, it looks as though it's okay for the dog to lean on your hand or even to brace him with a hand on his chest so he learns to hold the sit in an upright position. He's sleeping peacefully right now, but back to the drawing board tomorrow.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »

Honey used our hands for support for ages before she got a true "be a bear" - it's all part of the learning curve...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:48:48 AM »
I've never managed to teach Finn my black cocker this - he just isn't that bothered about the morsel enough......maybe if it was a pheasant???

On the other hand....Alfie my ginger boy was obviously trained to do this by his previous owners....he will sit up on his back legs, speak if asked and I've managed to teach him to 'touch' my hand for a treat........Finn and Willow just sit looking on as if to say 'stoooopid puppy - we is getting the treat for just sitting!' :005:

Offline Pip895

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:07:14 AM »
We had a JRT who did this - I don't think we trained her - she just looked so irresistible when she did it she got given stuff.  She could sit beg for ten minutes without putting a front paw on anything - we timed her once :005: I think her tail formed a perfect tripod. :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:28:41 AM »
Any sign of a treat (or favourite toys) and Roly assumes the bear position  :lol:  Misha will do it too with a bit of persuation.  I do think that Roly finds doing these things easier like giving paw etc - Misha hates giving paw - she can do it but just doesn't want to.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 02:15:40 PM »
Murphy does a great be a bear.  We never trained it, it was a natural progression for him, if we ignored his pawing then we got this!

He does it every morning on my bed when I'm drying my hair, so I will blow his tummy with the dryer  :lol2:  Lately Maddi has started walking beween us when he's in that position and he puts a paw on her back, I keep expecting them to start a wee dance routine  :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 06:44:44 PM »
Murphy does a great be a bear.  We never trained it, it was a natural progression for him, if we ignored his pawing then we got this!

He does it every morning on my bed when I'm drying my hair, so I will blow his tummy with the dryer  :lol2:  Lately Maddi has started walking beween us when he's in that position and he puts a paw on her back, I keep expecting them to start a wee dance routine  :luv:

Strictly dog dancing aye
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.