Author Topic: Feeding guide - update  (Read 1023 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
Feeding guide - update
« on: November 24, 2010, 07:50:32 PM »
I have just changed Alfie over to Arden Grange. He has been fed a mixture of wet and dried food from about 3 mths. When I brought him home from the breeder he was on Natural Dog Food which he loved but was not easily available without paying hefty P&P to the Highlands. The recommended NDF for Alfie's age was considerably more than the breeder had advised and as Alfie seemed to be getting 3 wholesome portions for this amount I went with the breeder. Now that I'm giving Alfie only dry food ( as he loved the samples without any extra titbits) I just wondered how other COL Arden Grange users found the feeding guide for AG for their cockers. I have been weighing it out and it seems a reasonable daily amount for his weight. I have just got the adult chicken & rice and am awaiting the mini lamb adult and salmon & rice adult. I notice that the recommended allowance for the mini lamb was 20g more than for the Chicken & rice and wondered why that would be? Alfie is 14mths, trim and 10.5kg so am keen to maintain the correct weight for his age and build.

Offline mooching

Re: Feeding guide
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »
That's interesting - I would imagine it's down to how accessible the protein source is to the dog - but it would probably be worth a quick email to Arden Grange direct. I notice that the ocean fish, salmon and chicken varieties all have the same recommended amounts, but the two lamb products have a different recommended amount.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
Do you find that the AG recommendations are pretty accurate for your cocker(s)?

Offline mooching

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »
Alfie is only half (working) cocker (the other half is terrier), but yes, I do. He's 7 months old, weighs just under 12kg (he's a big boy!) and has about 150g per day in meals (2 proper meals plus a small snack at bedtime), then about another 30g or so equivalent in training treats.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
Thats good to know. I've put Alfie on 165g per day, as that's the amount suggested for 10kg+ and he too has about 30g in treats in treat ball/training etc but no other biscuits/snacks.

Offline mooching

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 08:56:40 PM »
I'd suggest you get him weighed every fortnight or so, to see how his weight is doing. That's what I do with Alfie - our vets has the scales in the waiting room, so I can just pop in and weigh him, and ask the receptionist to put it on his records, without an appointment.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »
That's a good idea. He's due back to the vet's in a couple of weeks to get his ears rechecked anyway and the scales are in the waiting room too.

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:23:43 AM »
I've just switched Gillon (worker) over to Arden Grange too as he developed a sensitivity to some foods.  I find I have to feed him slightly more than the recommended amount to keep the weight on him.  But he is very, very active and probably burns off more than the average cocker.  I was absolutely knocked out by the level of care that Arden Grange gives in responding to customer enquiries.  Their nutrition adviser Ness Bird goes into real detail and looks at each case individually (something I feel Burns could learn from!) If you have any concerns, it would do no harm to get the benefit of her advice.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 08:07:14 PM »
That's interesting to know that you find that you have to give a little more than the recommended daily amount. With the two foods that Alfie has been on up until now I found I had to reduce the amount suggested (which I wonder wasn't for the benefit of the manufacturers' pockets) but with the Arden Grange I found their daily feed amounts much more realistic.Alfie only changed over this week so will see how his weight goes. I've emailed re the difference in recommended allowance between the adult chicken and mini lamb food.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
It is interesting what you say about needing to feed more Lamb than Chicken.
I have noticed a difference in the volume of the food IYSWIM.
I used to fill a plastic container with a 15kg bag of Adult Chicken and there was space at the top. I tried to do the same with the Adult Lamb but it just wouldn't fit as there was more kibble (in volume) than would fit in the container.  It appears there is much more Lamb kibble in a 15kg bag as it is smaller and lighter.
I used to just measure a cup out each morning but realized that I needed to give a bit more in volume when feeding the Lamb.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »
  It appears there is much more Lamb kibble in a 15kg bag as it is smaller and lighter.
I used to just measure a cup out each morning but realized that I needed to give a bit more in volume when feeding the Lamb.

That seems a likely reason then for having to give a higher measure of lamb kibble. Will see what AG say in their reply.

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
 I'd be interested to see the response, if you don't mind.  I've taken up so much of AG's time already that I'd feel a bit sheepish going back again.  :shades: I'm really happy with the results though.  It's not the cheapest but it has solved all Gill's issues (literally and figuratively  ;))

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
I'd be interested to see the response, if you don't mind.
No reply so far, and I guess there won't be now until Monday, but will post anything worthwhile from the reply.

Offline siam

• Site Member
Re: Feeding guide- update
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
I got an email back from Arden Grange tonight explaining the slight difference in amount of food suugested for daily feeding.

"I have been asked to contact you by my colleague Vanessa, who has explained that you are querying the differing feed guidelines for the Adult Chicken & Rice and Mini Lamb products.

The reason for this is that although the energy density of the food is almost identical; the chicken based feeds have lower volumes because chicken has a higher biological value than lamb. This basically means that it's a protein source for dogs which is one of the most easily metabolised into its constituent amino acids for use in the body so less energy is expended by the dog's digestion in processing it. Chicken is also a little more digestible - although both lamb and chicken are great ingredients for dogs and a lot easier on the digestion than meats such as beef and pork.

The feed guides really are just intended as a broad guideline, and sometimes you can find your dog may need more or less than suggested because there are many other factors apart from weight that influence the calories needed. These include temperament (stressed or busy dogs have higher energy requirements than very relaxed dogs), activity level and of course the individual's own unique digestion and rate of metabolism. These means metabolic energy requirements can be very variable. A 10kg dog could need as few as 500 calories per day if he was very inactive or overweight, and as many as 900+ if he was was very highly active/undertaking strenuous endurance work."

Offline AnnieG

• Site Member
Re: Feeding guide - update
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »
Makes sense (ish).  Thanks very much for passing it on. Good news for Gill as not only does he cope with it better than chicken but gets more.  :D