Author Topic: new to chicken wings!!  (Read 969 times)

Offline drummer dog

• Drummer
new to chicken wings!!
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:28:15 PM »
Hi Everyone

Just joined today, and love the site, so many useful tips and ideas!  I have a gorgeous little blue roan, he is 14 months old (will put some photos up soon).

Just changed his kibble to wafcol, as think he has allergies (alot of scratching to face and ears and also nibbling feet!)  So vet recommended changing to salmon and potato wafcol.

I've been reading about chicken wings, am I right in saying these are given raw, and not with kibble (read the topic about digestion). 

I am a little confused - do I let him eat the raw meat and then take the bone off him?  or will be eat the bone too?  I will make sure he is supervised.  The problem I will have, is he loves to bury any high value bones or treats!  So need to watch him like a hawk!

How often do you all feed your dogs chicken wings?  Should it be a treat every so often or could it become a regular meal if it suits him?

Many thanks in advance

Catherine (and Drummer!)

xxxx

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
Re: new to chicken wings!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:55 PM »
Hello  No just give the chicken wings raw and I bet they will last only seconds they love them

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:23:28 PM »
Maggie has them a few times a week.... I normally cut them into the three parts and bash the bone with a hammer to break it up. But thats just to stop her throwin it back whole. 
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:59:06 PM »

I am a little confused - do I let him eat the raw meat and then take the bone off him?  or will be eat the bone too? 

He will eat the raw meat and the bone too....  ;)
Honey has two as a meal (she is fully raw fed, so gets bones most days...)

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »
Mason eats 2 raw chicken wings for his tea 3 times a week.  If you are worried about Drummer hiding or burying them just hold onto them whilst he eats them.  That way you are satisfied that he has crunched the bones up too  :D
Elaine & Mason X

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »
Morgan's having 2 for his tea tonight  :D at first I used to hold them for him so he had to take them into his mouth horizontally so that he didn't swallow them whole. The crunching of the bone is a very satisfying noise  ;)
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline drummer dog

• Drummer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:43:16 PM »
well i popped into the supermarket on my way home from work, bought chicken wings!

I couldn't wait to see his little face, but he has turned his nose up at them, and was not interested :o

left them about half an hour, and still no joy!

once i picked them up, and swapped them for his biscuits mixed with a bit of nature diet, he tucked straight in!!

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 10:04:12 AM »
Maggie wasn't interested the first time either - kinda threw it around the floor and walked off.  Next time I flash fried one.... literally half a minute, just to release the smell a little but not enough to heat it through/cook the bone. Now she goes nuts at the smell of any chicken at all... mine or hers!

Might be worth a try if you really want him to have them.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline drummer dog

• Drummer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:15:30 AM »
Hi Lisa & Maggie

thanks for the idea of the flash fry, I will give it a try.  I think he is a little bit spoilt  ;)

Will let you know how he goes on...

I also read about giving lamb shanks - have you tried these?

Catherine xx

Offline drummer dog

• Drummer
Re: new to chicken wings - help with bones please
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »
Hi Again

Success with the chicken wings last night, I flash fried them and he ate them in seconds!

Just a little question though - is there any risk with him eating the bone?  I woke up this morning, and went downstairs, and there were two little piles of sick, both of which contained chicken bone.

Is this normal, is there anything I should do with the bone beforehand - ie smash into small pieces?

Thanks again

Catherine x

Offline tigs71

• Evie's Cake Design
Re: new to chicken wings - help with bones please
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 12:09:31 PM »
Hi Again

Success with the chicken wings last night, I flash fried them and he ate them in seconds!

Just a little question though - is there any risk with him eating the bone?  I woke up this morning, and went downstairs, and there were two little piles of sick, both of which contained chicken bone.

Is this normal, is there anything I should do with the bone beforehand - ie smash into small pieces?

Thanks again

Catherine x

It is quite nornal for dogs to bring back small amounts of bone - it can take them a while to get used to digesting them.  It might help if you pop the wings in a food bag and give them a bash with a rolling pin before you give them to Drummer  :D
Elaine & Mason X

Offline rogertb

• Roger Burton Design Consultancy Christchurch Dorset video web design and motion graphics show reels created in After Effects and Photoshop
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:24:38 AM »
Hi chaps, newbie here, I have always heard that chicken bones are bad for dogs so offering our 5 month old puppy one will feel really strange ... just so I get this right ... is it safe to feed a pup a raw chicken wing with bones in (whether 'bashed up' or not) ... many thanks Roger

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 08:54:31 AM »
Hi chaps, newbie here, I have always heard that chicken bones are bad for dogs so offering our 5 month old puppy one will feel really strange ... just so I get this right ... is it safe to feed a pup a raw chicken wing with bones in (whether 'bashed up' or not) ... many thanks Roger

As much as anything is safe  ;) 

Yes, you can give your pup completely raw chicken wing with bones in it.

As for lamb shanks - the general rule of thumb for raw feeding is that non weight-bearing bones are best - trimmed lambs breast, pork rib, turkey or chicken necks, rabbit legs etc

A lamb shank bone would be better as a recreational bone imo.
helen & jarvis x

Offline rogertb

• Roger Burton Design Consultancy Christchurch Dorset video web design and motion graphics show reels created in After Effects and Photoshop
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:56:20 AM »
Thanks Helen ... I'll give it a try - Roger

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 10:59:55 AM »
Mine were sick after bone meals for a while when I first started giving it to them.  I have cut mine down to just one maybe 1 and a half chicken wings per meal and I make sure they have a biscuit before bed to keep their stomachs working to digest the bone properly!  If 1 wing isn't enough then maybe add a bit of chicken mince to bulk it up more but without the added bone content?  That's what I do with my Dane as he doesn't tolerate too much bone all at once!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!