Author Topic: New pups food  (Read 430 times)

Offline maddy74

New pups food
« on: January 24, 2011, 12:00:03 AM »
Hiya, We are having a new pup on 11th feb and the breeder is currently feeding, Beta. I am blinded by science with what I should give and not give and whats natural and the portions of meat and cereal that should be in the food, the list of ingredients for the food is, Cereals (min. 4% Rice), Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4% Lamb), Derivatives of Vegetable Origin (min. 0.5% Beet Pulp), Vegetable Protein Extracts, Oils and Fats, Minerals, Vegetables (Min 0.5% Chicory). I'm sure I read somewhere that the foods were only good if do not contain meat derivatives? Is this right? Is this a good food to keep her on?

Offline mooching

Re: New pups food
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:18:27 AM »
I've just replied to your pm.  ;)

I personally do not like Beta at all. I would suggest that you keep her on it to start with, but, once she has settled in (10-14 days), start slowly changing her over to something better. If you want to keep to kibble, then I'd suggest Arden Grange, Barking Heads, Skinners or Royal Canin. Or Wainwrights (Pets at Home own brand) if you're looking for something a bit cheaper.

My Alfie was on Skinners when I got him, but I couldn't easily get Skinners, so I changed him over to Royal Canin after a couple of weeks (I took 2 or 3 weeks to change him over). After the half price offer on Royal Canin stopped, I changed him over again to Arden Grange, and have kept him on it.

Offline nking25

Re: New pups food
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:05:13 AM »
Both my boys were on Arden grange then weaned onto Royal Canine Cocker, well one of them is still on arden as he is only 4 months.
They were both on Arden when i got them and they had no problems with it