Author Topic: What fun! An hour and a half watching a dog run around in the freezing cold!  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
Let Freddie off yesterday in a safe field very near us - he doesn't get let off much at the moment as recall is so poor but I feel sorry for him not getting a run. OH let him off there Friday and he was pretty good but he got a smell in his nose yesterday and spent an hour and a half running hither and thither up and down the field, nose to ground, tail wagging like mad, chasing birds, never coming very close to me but checking every now and then that I was there. Did contemplate leaving him to find his way home but then lost sight of him for about 25 minutes - eventually spotted him and when he saw me he came running over pleased as punch. I just said good boy, gave him his piece of cheese and put him on lead again! Back to the flexi my lad!  >:D ph34r
Paula & Freddie x

Offline JeffandAnnie

:005: Sounds like HE had a wonderful time. Annie took off after a deer in the woods last weekend and we lost her for about 15 minutes - we could occasionally hear faint yipping coming from different areas of the wood and were about to panic when she deigned to come back  >:( Needless to say, she spent the rest of the walk on lead.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Oh I feel for you, pleased the wee man had a good time, but boy is it frustrating!!

Offline black taz

Taz disappeared for about 15 minutes last Sunday, but fortunately he was in a small wooded area with undergrowth so although i didnt know exactly where he was i knew the proximity and just played with Kira until he decided to come back to us.  Its so frustrating, i dont want to keep him on a long lead as much of the time he is a good as gold, today he was an angel and in fact didnt refuse to come back once.  Wish i had a magic wand :005:

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
 :o 25 mins! Were you not really worried?! Id be scared stiff :005:. I call Alfie back if i lose sight of him for more than 5 seconds :005:.

Glad you got him back though. Hopefully one day you'll be able to have a peaceful off lead walk! xx
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Naughty Freddie :shades:  It doesn't make Odie and I feel so useless now I know others have the same trouble like me with recall :005: :005:  I'd have been frantic after about 2 mins as well! 

It's really difficult to practice recall though isn't it?  Even if we KNOW what we should be doing, it's a different matter getting out there to practice it ph34r
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline hanandhen

When Henry tries this trick I generally find a bush, tree or hedge to hide behind so he thinks I've gone. I normally get a worried looking spaniel back in a couple of minutes.

Although this does mean that people have occasionally mistaken me for a dodgy person lurking in the woods :lol2: ph34r

Offline Emma xx

• Donator
  • Meg
When Henry tries this trick I generally find a bush, tree or hedge to hide behind so he thinks I've gone. I normally get a worried looking spaniel back in a couple of minutes.

Although this does mean that people have occasionally mistaken me for a dodgy person lurking in the woods :lol2: ph34r

I can just imagine :lol2:
Emma, with Meg (11) and Alfie (3)

Watch Alfie's first year!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=c5e5e2eace5d415d7d989a&skin_id=7

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
ooo little beggar..... :005: :005: :005: :005:

Offline montydavies

Found a great solution with Monty, call his name and then run off in other direction, waving my arms and calling (doG only knows what other people think!) When he sees me 'leaving without him' he comes straight back! :005:  Not a permanent solution, but will have to suffice until his hearing aid arrives!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Found a great solution with Monty, call his name and then run off in other direction, waving my arms and calling (doG only knows what other people think!) When he sees me 'leaving without him' he comes straight back! :005:  Not a permanent solution, but will have to suffice until his hearing aid arrives!

This was the method I used up until recently (people must think cocker owners are crazy :005:).  Unfortunately I tried this the other day and was left with egg on my face - he totally ignored me still and continued harrassing an elderly lady dog to play with him ph34r  I then had to double back 25m or so to fetch the little  >:D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline montydavies

This was the method I used up until recently (people must think cocker owners are crazy :005:).  Unfortunately I tried this the other day and was left with egg on my face - he totally ignored me still and continued harrassing an elderly lady dog to play with him ph34r  I then had to double back 25m or so to fetch the little  >:D

:005: :005: :005:

Offline black taz

the running off method has never worked with Taz  >:D >:D

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
have you proofed your recall on a long line to ensure you get success?????
looking at your avatar Sheepscheeks you should send Freddie to me immediately :luv: :luv: :luv:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
have you proofed your recall on a long line to ensure you get success?????
looking at your avatar Sheepscheeks you should send Freddie to me immediately :luv: :luv: :luv:

Long line/flexi "proofing" is ongoing all the while Mark, he knows what the whistle means but smells/birds/other dogs are just tooo tempting! I just feel bad he can't have a run now and again so, based on his good performance for OH gave it a go in a place I knew to be safe. Didn't take whistle as I didn't want to use it and him to ignore. As for sending him to you - well, you know I would love to send him to you and get him back with a recall but my OH and children might be a tad upset!

I didn't worry too much about him disappearing - he has done so before and, so far, has come back eventually!
Paula & Freddie x