Author Topic: Hi I' M A First Timer!'  (Read 737 times)

Offline manxie

• Site Member
Hi I' M A First Timer!'
« on: January 23, 2005, 08:31:31 PM »
Hi,I have just joined cockersonline.We have a lovely golden cocker spaniel called Voirrey.She will be two in June.We also have a 10year old moggy tabby cat and our latest addition is our torie persian kitten.We are also parents to four brilliant kids ranging from five months to 8years so we are a busy household! I have a question,we have owned dogs before but Voirrey is our first cocker spaniel. She has a great temperament,is brilliant,loves the kids but will often yelp for no apparent reason as if she's been hurt.We can never find anything and have even taken her to the vet over it but he found nothing wrong.I got talking to a king charles spaniel owner in the park and she told me her dogs are the same,very wimpy,and she thought it a spaniel thing.However I have read loads of books and trawled the net and can find no such thing.I am quite concerned about this.We have had her from pup and there is no reason for her to act like this! I worry about her! Anybody come across thisbehaviour before or is there something our vet is missing.Everything else is fine.  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Hi I' M A First Timer!'
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 08:44:36 PM »
:) Welcome to COL Manxie and Voirrey.  Hope you enjoy the forum-its great.

Is Voirrey doing anything in particular when she yelps?

Big hug to her from us xxx  :)

Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Hi I' M A First Timer!'
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 10:34:50 PM »
Welcome to Col

Just wondering, when she first did the yelping thing, did you make a fuss of her?
Cockers soon learn what will get them attention and if a yelp as if in pain brings you running then they will carry it on. My last cocker was the biggest wimp in the world because we "fussed him" with every yelp. You only had to say to him "poor paw" and he'd start limping :) And stepping around him when he was lying in the middle of a doorway would soon have him up yelping wanting a fuss.

Just a thought

Caroline and Alfie