Author Topic: help wanted with our cocker spaniel  (Read 3605 times)

Offline hattie

help wanted with our cocker spaniel
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
hello we have a 8 month old golden cocker who is bringing the family to nearly falling out over her.
she as a very bad separation anxiety which mean we cant leave her ,she wants to be with some one all the time
we have two other dogs but she stills crys as if some one is killing her .
we have had her since 8 weeks old we did get in touch with her breeder for help which was not much joy
apart from we found out she had been taken away from her mum at 3 weeks .
we have since found out her mum as problems .
any way going to our cocker she likes to be in control she as gone for us a few times if we have tryed to bring her in line .
she jumps on the side,s to get food .
we let her of her lead but it worry,s us  if someone walks towards her she barks nasty towards them
and her fur goes up all down her back.
we cant take her out with our other two dogs because she get funny with any other dog that goes near them.
and if one of our other dogs goes to sit by us she comes and sits on top of them or she will push them away .
when she is nice she is a lovely dog but we never know when she is going to change into the dog you dont want .
we are now at our ends and thinking of giveing her up
we have two small granchildren who we dont know weather to trust her round them
and i found your forum last night when i was close to tears over her
and thought it was worth asking weather any one could help us .

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
Re: help wanted with our cocker spaniel
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:27 AM »
You poor thing, that doesn't sound easy at all. Can I suggest as a first port of call you ask your vet to give her a thorough check-up just to make sure there's nothing physical going on?  It sounds as though she has huge amounts of tension in her body (eg things like all her fur sticking up down her back) and physical problems can have a huge impact on behaviour.

Where are you based?
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:51:38 AM »
It sounds like your cocker needs some professional help, I'm afraid - a behaviourist who is experienced with Cocker Spaniels will be able to observe the issues far better than we can over a forum.  Steer clear of any behaviourist who makes any comment about her colour...
I will give some comments in the meantime, though...

Re: Seperation Anxiety - this is quite a common problem.  What happens when you leave her?  Does she have a crate or other den to go in?  It's not unusual for dogs to experience SA even with other dogs present, as it is the human company they crave.  It can help some dogs to set up a regular routine for when you go out so they know what to expect, though for some this can make things worse as they start to worry before you go.  I always leave the radio on for Honey, leave her with her special toy and a kong stuffed with something yummy... she gets really excited when she see me getting ready to go out, as she knows she gets good stuff!!!  :005:  If preparing to go out makes your dog anxious, do the going out routine several times without going out, until she stops being anxious about it, before you even begin to address the going out.  Once you can do that, you need to build up leaving her from literally a milli-second up to longer periods of time, going at HER pace, never letting her get to the point where she is anxious - it's a long process, and if you have to leave her at any point to the point of distress it can undo a lot of progress.... but it is acheivable.

Re: Jumping up to things on the side - the simple answer is don't leave anything on the side to tempt her - dogs are scavengers by nature, and once she has learned that there might be tasty morsels on the side she's going to keep checking it out.  Restrict her access to the kitchen when there are things on the side - if it isn't rewarded (by her getting food) the behaviour will decrease.  You can also train an "off" commmand, so that you can ask her to get down from the sides if you catch her up there (say off, and throw a treat down on the floor so she follows it - but I would do that from something other than the sides she scavenges from, as she could be clever enough to learn that she gets rewarded for jumping up!!! - once she has learned it elsewhere you can apply it to the side she scavenges from!).

Re: Being in Control - I'm not sure what you mean by this, nor what you mean by trying to "bring her in line".  But from everything you say, it sounds like you have a very nervous dog, she's not trying to dominate you or rule the roost, she is trying to keep herself safe from the threats she perceives in everything around her.  I expect (though I'm willing to be told otherwise) that the times she has gone for you are times when a confrontation of some kind has arisen (maybe she's got hold of something she shouldn't have and you've taken it from her, or you've been trying to put her lead on, or groom her, or remove her from somewhere??).  It is far better to adopt a more positive approach to training - dogs will repeat behaviour they find rewarding, so reward everything she does that you approve of (including lying calmly and not doing anything!), distract from behaviour you don't want (so that it doesn't get the chance of becoming rewarding) or if that's not possible ignore it (for some dogs even negative attention is rewarding).  The most I would do to "punish" a dog (especially in this kind of situation) would be to remove my attention by getting up and walking away.   If you give us some specific examples of her behaviour, we might be able to give you some more insight.

Re: Barking at strangers - this is a fear reaction - try not to let her get to the point she is scared by calling her to you before she reacts to the person, and giving her a treat.  If you can set up stooge people to walk past her (at a distance she finds safe) and, intially, you treat her as they walk past - as she gets more confidence, you can progress to the stooge throwing a treat towards her (but don't let them have eye contact at this point) and gradually to being closer, and then taking a treat from the person (in her time - don't rush it - and don't introduce eye contact, or any movement from the person to her until she intiates it).  I have helped a chap with his nervous collie by doing this, and she is much improved, but it is has taken time and patience.  

You should also get her checked at the vets, just to rule out any medical reason for her behaviour.  

In general I would advise handfeeding her her food for the time being - use half of it for rewards for all the things I've mentioned above, and the other half just sit and handfeed her.  She sounds like a very scared little dog and this can help create a positive bond between owner and dog.  :luv:

If you do decide you can't manage her issues in your situation, please contact a reputable rescue organisation, as they will be able to find the perfect home to help her grow into a confident happy adult dog.

I hope this helps.

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline hattie

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
i wish to thank you so much for giveing us some light that we may be able to win this girl over
ive had dogs for over 20 years and she is the first dog which can have me in tears most days
we keep feeling if we ask a rescue center to take her were letting this dog down .
but im going to try every thing you have said .
we do keep haveing people say she as the golden problem
but deep down i feel there is some thing were just not under standing about her
im just so greatful i found some one to talk to .
we love her to bits but i just want to help her .
we have been going to a puppy group which she found very hard work
because she stands back from things she is not sure about .
but im starting to wonder weather i should find her a different group because
the other dogs are in front of her .
she should be able to be left on the other side of the room for me to walk away from her
but they hold her crying well i walk away yes it hurts
but im going to return her to the vets and have her looked over
sorry im going on but i just feel ive got to get her help .

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
I just wanted to reassure you that my Odie had me in tears many times from the age of 8 weeks to 19 weeks, over his bad Separation Anxiety.  I was on this forum every day asking for advice and help with it (he was messing his crate every time I left him, even for 30 mins).  It took me weeks but eventually he just learned that I WAS coming back and he stopped messing.  I'm with him most of the day which doesn't help of course and I was advised to build up leaving him (whilst still in the house) a few mins at a time and go from there. 

I sometimes still put him in his crate whilst I'm busy with my 2 young daughters or something where I need him safe, and he'll whine to be let out, but that is because he knows I'm still there!  When I leave him and go out, he settles straight away and can be left 4 hours no problem (I know this as I video taped him the other week :005:).

Odie is a golden too and I'm lucky no-one has said silly things to me about his colour but please put it out of your mind.  It is quite rare I'm told and I'm sure with the good advice on here already and after a vet check, you will be able to re-start your training with her.  Good luck and don't forget, there are lots of people on here who have experienced some or all of the problems you are going through and will be more than happy to help, advise and support you along the way.  Lesley  :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline hattie

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
thank you so much just had me in tears .....knowing there is some one to talk to
it feels like were so alone with her when were just wanting to enjoy her
but it feels like there is a wall between her and us all the time 

Offline jessandme

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:54:34 AM »
Just want to say - Karma has given you some really brilliant advice.  There is so much knowledge and experience on this forum, you have come to the right place that's for sure.   I don't think there can be many of us who haven't been reduced to tears by a pup at some point, I know that I have, more than once.

And here's a big hug from me.   :bigarmhug:

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »
Just wanted to say you are not alone there are a lot of very kind knowledgeable people on this forum who will help you along the way.

Eve

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »
Just wanted to say you are not alone there are a lot of very kind knowledgeable people on this forum who will help you along the way.

Eve

yes, me too  ;) 
what comes across most strongly in your post, is your love of your girl  :luv:  I'm so pleased you found this forum & with all the knowledgeable people who are members, I'm sure you'll get the advice & support to help with any problems she may have.
Although the work & training needed for some of the more challenging dogs is hard, the rewards to you get back when you finally make it through is ten fold - all the very best of luck  & hope you find what works for your girl  :bigarmhug:  :-*

Welcome to the forum by the way Hattie  :021: 
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
Hattie - have pm'd you ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline hattie

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »
thank you all for your kind words she is such hard work
thank you for the p m sent but ive not been able to get to you
it was a usefull read ,
just been out for a walk she as just been a handful again picked on two jacks
lucky i know the lady and she knows what problems were getting
but its still up setting

Offline hattie

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
just been out for a walk with  our cocker taken into feilds which are close to us ,

walked into a man with two labs .

wonder weather any one else have had problems with there cocker screaming at people
and she screamed and cryed out at his labs lucky the labs were very good
but she kept runing at his lab and screaming it was sad to see
but the owner said leave her and after 10 min,ts of it she stoped
it was nice meet up with some one which did not call her a nasty dog
but it still worry,s me
she trys to over power other dogs
yes hard work .
hattie

Offline black taz

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 12:28:15 PM »
could you try and set up some meetings with other dogs that would help her (ie: like the labs)

the poor girl does sounds as if she is struggling with life, bless her.

there is lots of help here though, so you have lots of support.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

she trys to over power other dogs
yes hard work .
hattie

She's not trying to have power over other dogs, she scared...  :-\
The more she is pushed into situations when she has to react, the more she will react... you really need to break the cycle by not pushing her into meeting dogs when she's not comfortable. 

Have you spoken to your vet and a behaviourist, yet?
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline hanandhen

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 12:39:24 PM »
If you post the area of the country that you are in, perhaps someone will be able to recommend a good behaviourist?