Author Topic: Beginner to agility  (Read 1359 times)

Offline littleowlett

• Archie
Beginner to agility
« on: March 15, 2011, 05:04:58 PM »
Just posting to ask for some agility advice!
I really want to take my cocker puppy Archie to agility classes and am busy looking for a club to join in East Sussex at the moment - but in the meantime before I find one I was hoping to do the odd bit of training in the garden with him.
Does anyone have any good tips on where to start with his training and what kind of things I could start him off on and the commands I need to start teaching.
We are raring to go!
 :D
Many thanks.

Offline JohnW

Re: Beginner to agility
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:01:55 PM »
You can try agility.net for a list of clubs in your area, however most clubs don't take dogs until they are at least 1 year old and many have waiting lists. However to start with get yourself into some obedience classes that the club may run, basic obedience is a must as the last thing you need is starting the class for the first time and your young dog charging around the arena upsetting the whole class  ;)  Agility can get them excited and young dogs can find it very hard to resist wanting to say hello to everything that moves the first few classes, especially if their obedience is not great  ph34r  :lol2: ........  Good luck in your agility quest  :D

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:49:39 PM »
Great advice from JohnW.  Basic obedience training is very important so that you have some control over Archie.  Also, don't start him too early as you can damage the joints in a young pup - any good club will advise you on this.  My Tilly loves her agility - I'm sure Archie will too - enjoy  :D

Sue and Tilly

Offline littleowlett

• Archie
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
Thank you John & Sue (& Tilly!). Thanks for your advice,  I've put us on a waiting list for a couple of clubs as Archie has just turned one .
I think I will get practising with his obedience because if I know him he will definitely get excited at the prospect of all these new things and other pups! We'd be known as the mischief-makers! :005:
Very excited about it all!  :D

Offline JohnW

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 06:45:04 PM »
Hopefully see you on the circuit one day  ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 06:56:46 PM »
As Archie is over a year old, you can certainly start training him a bit at home.  As has been said basic obedience will be useful as well as some directional commands - right and left, wait etc.  ;)

I have made some small jumps out of plastic overflow piping with the relevant connectors and some weaves out of some wooden sticks.  I also have a children's hoop and tunnel.  You can even start with just a piece of stick on the ground and teach Archie to go over it - can then gradually raise it a bit higher.  ;)  For jumps I use "over" as the command, through the tunnel is "Tunnel" and for the weaves I use "weeeeeeave" - I know, you would never guess :005:  I started off training Coco with a clicker and she loves it although she is not that disciplined but as we just do it for fun it doesn't matter too much  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:41:01 PM »
I too have some home made Agility equipment
I have also tyred to join the agilitynet forum but have not been able to for some reason  :huh:
and i have just received a book on agility called The Essential Guide To Dog Agility Training
By Dawn Weaver has anyone read this book.... is it any good

Offline stephremon

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
Knowing Dawn it'll be very useful ;)