Author Topic: whats happened to my ebony???  (Read 1384 times)

Offline ebony girl

whats happened to my ebony???
« on: June 08, 2011, 01:56:56 PM »
ebony has always been the loveliest, most sweetest dog but since we brought gypsy home 2 weeks ago she has not only been telling gypsy off but every other small dog/puppy at the park......how can i stop this????

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: whats happened to my ebony???
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
ebony has always been the loveliest, most sweetest dog but since we brought gypsy home 2 weeks ago she has not only been telling gypsy off but every other small dog/puppy at the park......how can i stop this????

Not all dogs are happy about sharing their single life, but hopefully it's just an adjustment period for her. It sounds like she's quite stressed with the puppy moving into your house. If it was me, I would give her a break from gypsy and only let them play for short supervised periods for now and when you see Ebony has had enough, take Gypsy away before she feels she has to really have a go at her. I rehomed a 2 yr old dog when Dave (cocker) was 4 months old and to keep the rehomed dogs stress levels down I did separate them a lot. Puppies can be a real pain in the wotsit and if she's struggling to accept her I'd take the pressure off while Gypsy is growing up and Ebony is getting used to the idea of sharing her home - hopefully she'll start to relax if you give her some space ;). I would walk her separately to Gypsy too for now.

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
thanks, am keeping the pup away from ebony as much as possible, and as pup is not allowed out yet ebony is still having seperate walks.

strangely enough she does actually seem to like gypsy but on her terms, as soon as gypsy gets playful she tells her off.

i dont think theres any actual aggression and wonder if shes just teaching gypsy some ground rules and now feels its her duty to educate all pups at the parks too!!!  ;)

i just wish i knew that in a couple of months they would be friends, it would make it so much easier, but im so worried they will never be close  :'(

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »
I reckon its early days, and she's just settling in to the idea of a new buddy  ;) Re the pups down the park... how old is Ebony now?  Maggie was great til she got to about 18months and since then she does seem to be on a bit of a personal mission to teach all the pupsters manners down the park.  Some she will still play with and be lovely with, others - probably the more boisterous she takes no nonsense from at all.  So might just be an age thing as well?
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:43:07 PM »
Try not to worry about it :-* It took nearly a year for my two to become really close and now they sleep in the same bed and eat next to each other and have NEVER had a scrap :luv: But as I said earlier, puppies can be really stressful for an older dog that's settled so just try and reduce the stress for Ebony and from what you've said I'm sure given a bit of time and space she'll start to relax more :luv: :luv: :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline redlottie

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »
Please don't despair - it is still very early days for your two

We introduced Albie to Otto when Albie was 8 weeks and Otto was 15 months, to say Otto didnt like him is a bit of an understatment  ;).  To start with he didnt even want to be in the same room as him.  Now 8 months on they are firm friends not bestest, bestest friends but they get on far better than I ever dreamed they would after the first few months.  :luv:

Since Albie came to us we have found Otto to be less tolerant of puppies generally and I think this is because he associates all puppies with the things Albie used to do - such as hang off his ears, take attention away from him, yap and nip at him at every opportunity and so on...

Persevere with not forcing the issue between Ebony and Gypsy and then hopefully once Ebony realises Gypsy is there to stay and not a threat she will mellow a little both inside and outside the home

Good luck

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
I reckon its early days, and she's just settling in to the idea of a new buddy  ;) Re the pups down the park... how old is Ebony now?  Maggie was great til she got to about 18months and since then she does seem to be on a bit of a personal mission to teach all the pupsters manners down the park.  Some she will still play with and be lovely with, others - probably the more boisterous she takes no nonsense from at all.  So might just be an age thing as well?

shes just turned 2, and if im honest and i think back over the past couple of months she has become less tolerant of boisterous little dogs/pups....im just alittle worried shes going to become snappy, as we take her everywhere with lots of other dogs. She seems to have forgotten how to "play" just recently, and just wants to potter round with her ball and be left alone by other dogs   :huh:

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
I reckon its early days, and she's just settling in to the idea of a new buddy  ;) Re the pups down the park... how old is Ebony now?  Maggie was great til she got to about 18months and since then she does seem to be on a bit of a personal mission to teach all the pupsters manners down the park.  Some she will still play with and be lovely with, others - probably the more boisterous she takes no nonsense from at all.  So might just be an age thing as well?

shes just turned 2, and if im honest and i think back over the past couple of months she has become less tolerant of boisterous little dogs/pups....im just alittle worried shes going to become snappy, as we take her everywhere with lots of other dogs. She seems to have forgotten how to "play" just recently, and just wants to potter round with her ball and be left alone by other dogs   :huh:

Freya is almost two and we've been going through the exact same thing. Some of it is definitely down to age. In the last couple of weeks Freya has settled down a lot and has actually started play with more dogs than she has in the last year! Hopefully its a phase they go through

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »
Poor Ebony....i know just how she feels... :dunno:and i chose to have a puppy  :011:

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »
As said already sometimes it takes a while for the older woof to realise the pup is going no-where!!

Thor was not amused when Freya first arrived but he is beginning to tolerate her more with every passing day-well apart from when she chews his willy and balls  >:D :005:

I hope you will look back on this thread in a few weeks and wonder why you posted it as they are firm friends!!
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:08:39 PM »

Indie doesn't play with any dogs when we're out, she isn't interested at all and tells them off if they persist in bugging her.    She just likes to play with her ball and potter round as well (She wasn't like this until going into her 2nd year, before then she wanted to play with the other dogs - she's 4 and still the same now).     I think it may just be a case of growing up and being less tolerant with other dogs.   

Indie plays with Quinn now but took her a week when we got him for her to suss that he wasn't going back to where he came from.    :shades:

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
As said already sometimes it takes a while for the older woof to realise the pup is going no-where!!

Thor was not amused when Freya first arrived but he is beginning to tolerate her more with every passing day-well apart from when she chews his willy and balls  >:D :005:

I hope you will look back on this thread in a few weeks and wonder why you posted it as they are firm friends!!

i hope so too, as i can honesty hand-on-heart say that i bought the pup as much for ebony as for us, as i believe their lives are enriched by having a doggy companion.

dont get me wrong everyday is getting better, i just feel so guilty about turning ebonys life upside down and im probably analysing every aspect of her behaviour right now, and its all sounds like normal behaviour after listening to others experiences.

im glad i asked the question as all your responses have been most helpful and any further suggestions/experiences would be greatly received, they are most comforting  :luv:

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
well what a difference a day or two makes...... :D

ebony has started to play with gypsy.....its early days i know but im so chuffed. Ebony was showing all the signs today of wanting to play with pup, she was licking her, sniffing her ears and running round with her, there was also lots of laying soft growling and mouthing each other and at one point ebony lay down rolled over with gypsy jumping all over her.

i kept an eye from a distance and when i thought gypsy was getting a bit nippy at ebonys face and ears, i called them both to me for a treat and a group cuddle.....

im so much happier today, especially since gypsy slept from 10pm last night till 7am this morning, things are looking up all round, i cant believe i worry about my dogs this much, its like having 2 more kids  ;)

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
So pleased to read this update  :D.  Sounding like there is light at the end of the tunnel for you all - and I agree, having had a good night's sleep under your belt is likely to have helped your frame of mind as well  :D

Hang on in there - it will be worth it and hopefully before long it will be as if the original problem never happened.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
It does take a little time + little or no interference from owners

Ruby hated Wilf when he 1st arrived - poor Wilf couldn't even walk on the park without Roobs bowling him over to tell him off even though he was just minding his own business - I just left them too it (even when Wilf yelped I just made sure he was OK but did nothing)

they're like chalk and cheese but are great mates.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!