Author Topic: Constant Mounting  (Read 1064 times)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Constant Mounting
« on: February 07, 2005, 11:39:08 AM »
Alfie has taken to constantly mounting Molly (a lab) when she joins us for walkies :(

This has only started to happen the past two weeks, before that he paid no more interest in her then any other dog, even when she was in season he left her alone. Now he only has to see her and hes away doing his best to mount her - last week he was away out the park after her :(

Molly is a softee and wont "tell him off" as other dogs do and I might as well talk to a wall so now when Molly joins us I have to keep Alfie on the lead, which is no fun for either of us.

Any ideas on how to stop him? Hes 8 months now and I can only see this problem becoming worse if I dont get a grip now
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Constant Mounting
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 01:15:26 PM »
How long ago was Molly in season ?
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Constant Mounting
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »
Three weeks ago now so he started doing this when she had been finished a week. He was fine with her during her season - just the usual dog play
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Constant Mounting
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »
Could be she's one of these girls that ovulates late, or maybe she needs a bath to remove any lingering smells  :)

Thinking again, is she well ?
Apparently bitches that are in the very early stages of Pyometra give of a similar scent to in season bitches (to males, that is)  :unsure:  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Constant Mounting
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 01:52:55 PM »
Shes bathed regulary as shes one of these who does love a wallow in a muddy puddle :)

As to being well I assume she is, mums not said otherwise.

I dont know what it is about this particular dog unless its Alfies first teenage crush. Theres another bitch in season who we tend to meet at lunchtimes and although Alfie has a good sniff, he comes back when called. Mind that one puts up with no nonsense, plonks herself down and gives a warning growl.

Atm seeing as its only a problem with Molly I guess I can change walk times on the days she joins us. Just sort of panicking that although we can avoid her he will be the same with other bitches unless I can nip it in the bud now
Caroline and Alfie

Sue H

Constant Mounting
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005, 08:16:31 PM »
It could be simply a dominance issue - having first met her when she was receptive, and she didn't mind him trying to mount her, he now thinks that he can rule the roost !!  We went though this with our two, although Barley was far too much the alpha female to let it go anywhere !!

I think you need to let them decide who can mount whom; if she gets fed up of his messing around, she will pretty soon let him know ....

I agree thatr pyometra can replicate the hormonal 'come-on' that a season puts out, but that manifests pretty quickly, and if the Lab had an infection, you (and her owner) would be aware by now !!

Maybe she is just very laid back and doesn't mind his amateurish attentions !!

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
Constant Mounting
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 04:17:58 PM »
Thanks Kim and Sue.

Molly has been walking with our group every morning this week and after two days I decided to change my walking times.

I spoke to Alfies breeder  and her advice was to carry on avoiding Molly for the next three weeks as its not unknown for bitches to still be receptive that late after a season.

Thinking about it she does stand still for him so hopefully this is all it is and keeping them apart for now will sort it out

Shes has also suggested that if he carries on this behaviour with all and sundry then I might want to get him the hormone injection (cant for the life of me remember what its called) to calm him down. But I shall wait and see before I go that route

Caroline and Alfie

Penel

Constant Mounting
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 04:50:38 PM »
One of our doggy friends - a springer x poodle ,  did the same to Lola and unfortunately he did it all the time, nothing to do with her in season or not - the only thing that cured him was being castrated..... he doesn't do it at all to her now - or any other dogs.  We ended up not walking together as it was a total nightmare, poor Lola got ever so fed up.  However now he's been done he is  completely fine - such a relief !