Author Topic: Odie bit me for 1st time/new behaviour problems - please help....  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Yesterday I caught Odie in our bin shredding tissues (my youngest daughter had left the dining room door open).  When I went to remove him, he went ballistic - snarling, barking and attacked my arm leaving a few bruises and bloody teethmarks :'( 

I've noticed this behaviour over the past few weeks escalating, it's every time I remove him from something he shouldn't be doing.  He really looks quite scary - baring teeth and constant barking.  He'll also go crazy the second anyone raises their voices (ie. my daughters are arguing).  There is no calming him down so I have to remove him to another room.

How can I manage this worrying behaviour, it's bad enough me being bitten but I don't want the two girls to get injured.  He is 18 months old, I was hoping he'd be on the road to calming down now :huh:  Thanks, Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Odie bit me for 1st time/new behaviour problems - please help....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:19:33 AM »
Lesley sorry to hear you got injured - hope you are ok physically

personally I think you need to seek help from a behaviourist that can come to your house and see for themselves what he is like - I don't think anyone over the internet are going to be able to help you except for recommending a good behaviourist for you - as with this type off behaviour there could be many factors that you don't mention / or don't see yourself but a behaviourist will see them

Good luck with Odie 

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
Thanks, he had diahorrea (sp?) all yesterday and was very quiet on the night, giving me cocker eyes, not sure if this tummy upset was linked to his behaviour or not?  Anyway, am starving him til teatime.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »
My two have had dia and sickness recently and I have heard of a lot of other dogs having this too

Even if you think this is related to his behaviour I would still get in a behaviourist so that they can help you nip this in the bud now and also give you advice on how to manage the suituation should it reoccur

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:38:19 AM »
Is there a proper official website (like the apdt) for good behaviouralists or not?  I've found one near me called ********** which I may contact.  

Mod Edit: Name removed as this operation does not have a good reputation

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:38:38 AM »
Did you physically try to 'remove' him ?  

Rather than 'confronting' him, have you tried distracting him by offering him a treat or a toy ? so avoiding the conflict.

Offline montydavies

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
Sending you big hugs Lesley, hope you are OK.  I don't really have any suggestions as such, other than to say that the idea of a behaviouist sounds like it may be one to consider.  Hope Odie is feeling better today, and I am sure that this is nothing that a bit of training won't sort out.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:43:46 AM »
while I agree with Cazza about us not seeing his behaviour and getting in a behaviourist I also think you need to look at how you respond to him when he has something he shouldn't and that he wants.

I'm not sure how you 'remove' him but removing him is quite confrontational and this could be why, as a young adult dog, he's reacting in this way.  Maybe you could approach it differently and encourage him away from what he's doing with a yummy treat?  A good leave command is really helpful as well  ;)

just seen Jann's response which I agree with and also yours and I would avoid the company you've mentioned at all costs.....they are a franchise and don't have a good reputation
helen & jarvis x

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:46:56 AM »
Did you physically try to 'remove' him ?  

Rather than 'confronting' him, have you tried distracting him by offering him a treat or a toy ? so avoiding the conflict.

I said 'ah ah' which I always do when he'd doing something he isn't supposed to do, I tried to steer him out of the room but he just runs under the table (taking the tissue with him!).  He isn't toy orientated and I didn't want to give him any treats as I was starving him - saying that, treats usually work.

It's the 'backchat' I get every time I tell him no that I'm not liking.

Sending you big hugs Lesley, hope you are OK.  I don't really have any suggestions as such, other than to say that the idea of a behaviouist sounds like it may be one to consider.  Hope Odie is feeling better today, and I am sure that this is nothing that a bit of training won't sort out.  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Thanks :-*  My hand is still quite sore but Odie is still giving me lots of barking, snarling etc even if I'm not doing anything (I didn't want him in the bedroom as he was wet after his walk and he went ballistic again :huh:)

Thanks Helen, will refresh myself with dealing with confrontation and have treats to hand at all times!  I'll keep looking at the behaviouralists if you think they are no good. 

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:48:41 AM »
Hi Lesley
sorry to hear you are having probs with Odie.
Yes the apdt does have a website (apdt uk) also if you pm
Top Barks he might be able to point you in the right direction
of someone in your area.
steffxxx

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 11:03:43 AM »
Awww Lesley.... I'm sorry you're having some problems with the little fella,  :bigarmhug:'s for you.  Have to say I'd agree with whats been said so far, potentially he wasn't feeling the best anyway yesterday, but sounds like its a consistent reaction from him when you're trying to get him to stop doing something? I've not had any experience with handling young adolescent dogs but maybe getting some help in how to handle the situations differently might be useful.  Just an independant set of eyes to see if there's anything subtle either he or you are displaying/doing thats making the situation more confrontational to him....  I know when Maggie was about 18months we did go through a whole new stage of her pushing the boundaries with me so maybe its the same for Odie. Meant I had to adjust how I reacted to her in certain situations, granted she was never confrontational, with her it was more a flat refusal to do what I needed her to do...

Hope you find something that works for you and Odie, and you get your fluff monster back into soppy mode again soon  :luv:
Lisa
xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:18:26 AM »
Aw, thanks Lisa :-*  I'm sure it's just pushing the boundaries and yes, I think I have to readjust the way I handle the situations (I know I'm stressed and upset so this will be having an effect on him too).  I've already emailed Top Barks for recommendations and I'll do some reading up on techniques to handle it in the meantime.

Apart from this, Odie is such a softie, he is my constant shadow and completely devoted to me.  I've just never had any issues with him regarding this type of behaviour before.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
Really sorry to read about this Lesley as you say Odie is such a softy :luv: :luv: .  Hopefully he's just feeling out of sorts.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline PennyB

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
I said 'ah ah' which I always do when he'd doing something he isn't supposed to do, I tried to steer him out of the room but he just runs under the table (taking the tissue with him!).  He isn't toy orientated and I didn't want to give him any treats as I was starving him - saying that, treats usually work.

sometimes needs must

mine never used to be ball oriented but I have worked with them and now Wilf will do more for a tennis ball - sometimes you have to work with them to play.

What training are you doing with him. It may be worth taking time out and doing more with him so he's more bonded and focused on you again

While what he's doing isn't acceptable young cocker males going through adolescence can sometimes be terrible stroppy hooligans.

Even going back to basic training can help and teaching him the odd new thing if you can to stop him getting bored. But short sessions as well - again like any teenage boy his concentration levels may also be all over the place as well.

Have you tried clicker training.

If your dog is just walked to exercise him he may need his brain stimulating as well (tired dogs are less norty as well ;))
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »
All brilliant advice :D
Just wanted to say, a few months ago Teva had a poorly tummy after eating cow poo, the two days following her eating the muck she was snappy and unpredictable with every  living being in our house :shades:
I took her to the vets where she had given pain relief, anti biotics  etc within a couple of hours our happy little girl had returned!
I do think that you need to seek qualified advice, but I also wouldn't rule out how pain and illness can affect some dogs behaviour :D