Author Topic: Odie bit me for 1st time/new behaviour problems - please help....  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: Odie bit me for 1st time/new behaviour problems - please help....
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 12:42:37 PM »
I never leave anything he shouldn't have within reach, it's my 2 young daughters who do but they are getting better.  I've been saying to him "Good boy Odie, let's swap that for a treat" and he runs after me for it, it's working very well.  :D

On the snarling/biting front, he still gets very worked up the second someone raises their voice and nothing apart from removing him (or the kids) can calm him down so that is the method I'm having to do.  I just hope he'll calm down as he matures more.  :blink:

Charlie gets upset and barks if you raise your voice. And he hates me and OH play fighting but only barks at the OH  :005: even if Charlie's in a different room he still knows about it and will bark  :lol2:

Millie

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »
I'mreally finding the game of find and fetch around the house is quelling much of the aggression. The harder I make it to get to the treats the more stimulated mentally he is and less likely to be reactive.

How's the clicker training coming along?
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »
We are still playing find and fetch (even though he still won't drop it unless I click) but he bores fairly easily with it :huh:  The clicker training has gone out the window for the minute (school hols) but will resume when the girls go back to school.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline jslhodgson

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25:45 PM »
 Hi. We have the same problem with our monster Charlie.  We have tried the treat swap which she has got use  to now but still will respond sometimes. Charlie takes things under  shrub in the garden which we cannot get to easily and has snapped and snarled when we reach for the item. Also does the same in the house where she gets under a chair. Hasn't bitten either of us yet but we worry that she may bite someone who doesn't know the treat/swap. Help!!!

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »
I'd make sure that it's only someone who uses the treat/swap to entice the dog out, it's me mainly who does it although my kids (7 and 6) also know how to do this but as it's them who winds Odie up in the first place, I keep them away from him until he is calmer :shades:

I've learnt the hard way that if you try and take it off him, he'll react so it's important not to do this.  It's a ongoing thing and there is lots of info on here to help you deal with similar situations.

I also use the whistle to call him from wherever he is (ie. under a bush etc).  Have you tried this?  If not, there is a sticky on here which guides you step by step through it.  Very useful for outside recall training too ;) 
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!