Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
What would you do?
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
I'm not sure if this is in the right place, sorry. Also, I know the topic comes up a lot but will give it a go anyway.

Scenario: Freddie is nearly 21 months old, entire. He has a mad period after tea every day when he tries humping cushions, blankets, people - we deal with it by playing/training/walking him - after an hour or so he is fine again. He often tries to hump visitors but always gets a firm "No" or "Off" command. He does stop so isn't a complete pest about it. He is worst with a friend of my daughters who likes to sit on the floor with him - she giggles and shrieks when he starts humping and this just makes him worse. I have told her not to sit on the floor/giggle or shriek and to push him away firmly saying "No". He doesn't try to mount other dogs. His recall is getting better except when there are ditractions like wildlife or playful dogs but we are persevering. My OH wants to get him neutered as he has been told by dog owning friends that it will stop the humping behaviour (I have told him it might not) and should improve his recall (again I have told him it probably won't). Currently he is a very people and dog friendly dog but can be wary of other dogs as he has been growled at/lunged at on so many occasions for no apparent reason - he has NEVER EVER shown any aggression to another dog. I don't want to get him neutered for 2 reasons - don't want a shaggy haired dog (currently he is quite sleek) and I don't want loss of testosterone to make him even more wary of other dogs.
Sorry this has been a bit waffly but what would you do? :D
Paula & Freddie x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 03:38:39 PM »
My first Cocker, Josh, was always humping his towel, cushions, occasionally people's legs and once the hind leg of a German Shepherd :o who luckily didn't seem to mind :005:

He started humping when he was a small puppy but finally stopped when he was somewhere between 2 and 3 years old. He was very good natured with all other dogs, including our younger entire male Cocker (who he didn't hump) so we couldn't really see any need to have him castrated.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
Odie has never humped anything so I can't offer any advice in that direction but just wanted to mention that both my mam's whippet and brother's terrier (both castrated) try to hump Odie ph34r so as you say, there is no guarantee it'll stop that!  I've also read about potential personality changes/coat changes after the op and that is why I'm reluctant to go ahead with it for Odie.  His recall isn't perfect but again, I'm not convinced having him done would change that.  Hope someone else more experienced can offer more info for you ;)
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 05:42:54 PM »
Im sorry to hear Freddie is admiring the cushions and visitors...sadly I cannot offer any advice on this as my entire boxer has never done this behaviour...

My dog trainer and vet advised against castration as he too can be wary of other dogs and they have said less testosterone may make take away any confidence he does have...

Hopefully, other more experienced people will be along soon for you...
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »
i can confirm from experience that having them neutered doesnt improve recall - training does that.

As far a humping is concerned cannot really say much on that front cos Taz never did it before he was done (7 months) - he occasionally does it now but that it when he is play dominating Kira.  I have been told that it is a learned behaviour, to neutering doesnt necessarily change it - again its training, but you seem to be on top of it anyway.

As for the coat, Taz's doesnt seem much different 3 years on that it did when he was a puppy - his legs have always been fluffy but his torso is quite sleek but i do keep on top of stripping him.

I am sure others will come along with more experience, but having them neutered isnt a magic wand.

Good luck

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »
My neutered boys still hump for england  :o

Think excitement start them off.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 09:17:51 AM »
Neutering can help with things but only with a behavioural/training programme in place as well ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:41:07 AM »
Looking at this post with interest as I will not be castrating my Dexter unless there are real problems. Interesting the different perspectives from non and castrated dog owners.

Offline dawn

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
Henry is due to be castrated on Wednesday. I wonder if we are doing the right thing.

He humps the furniture, his recall has gone down hill and he is generally much more naughty! We thought neutering might help, maybe not? He is a very confident pup.

Offline Toffeepop

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 10:06:18 AM »
Toffee was amorous from 12 weeks old and it got to stage I couldn't walk past him without him attaching himself to my leg. He was also jumping onto my 3 year old son. We had no plans to show or breed with him so we had him castrated at 8 months old.

He is much more settled now and only very occasionally attempts to latch on but only when he is over excited and only very briefly. He still has "dafties" as my son calls them and does not appear to have lost any confidence.

I am glad we made the decision as he seems less agitated and more settled now and I feel it is safer for my son too.

Every dog is different so I think you have to consider all the implications and how they will affect your dog. We certainly have no regrets so far.

Offline Carol09

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:17:30 PM »
We had Jay castrated at 18 months.  He tried to hump all female/male dogs and it got too much. Jay hasn't tried to hump anything else since.  His confidence hasn't changed one bit, he'll leave other dogs alone but will also run up to them as well.  His coat is a little thicker but he was not sleek to begin with, so we haven't noticed much difference.

Duggie (GSD x) had to be castrated as it was part of our re-homing conditions otherwise we couldn't have him.  He hasn't changed either, his coat is still the same and he still runs up to other dogs  >:(.

I had no intentions of breeding and don't regret my decision about getting Jay done.

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 08:12:55 PM »
We had our 10 year old lab castrated when he was 9 months old.
He was very territorial and we had complaints from the neighbours.
Since then he only ever humped one other dog - a very meek and submissive lab bitch...

until 3 months ago when he now starts humping either of my two spaniels when they're playfighting.
Not sure whether it's the new puppy or his new medication that caused the change.

We're not planning to have Bix castrated just yet (only 6 months) - he has a lovely coat and no signs of humping anything

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
This is a long article,but does discuss the pros and cons of neutering.  :blink:

http://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »
Diesel who is castrated, humps cushions (nothing else) on a regular basis, Olli is entire and never humps   :huh:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »
Ben was castrated and still liked to hump the cushions regularly, he didn't stop until he was about three and calmed down generally  :005: