Author Topic: Strange new behaviour at feeding time  (Read 422 times)

Offline tritonx

Strange new behaviour at feeding time
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:21:05 AM »
Fraser is an enthusiastic food inhaler and the usual routine is he watches me getting his food ready, he does a dancey sit as I lower the bowl to the mat and off he goes, sucking in food like he'll never get fed again. But lately in the last week or so, as I'm lowering his dish he skitters away and then comes in and eats when it's on the ground. I don't recall bumping him with the dish and I'm the only one who feeds him. Then tonight as I was lowering the dish he skittered away with a yelp, the kind of yelp he does with dogs if he thinks he's going to be hurt. Then, once it was down, he was back to inhaling. I have no idea what this new anxiety toward his food dish is about. Any ideas?

Offline wendyt

Re: Strange new behaviour at feeding time
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
It's not a new dish is it? My old CKCS wouldn't eat out of a very expensive new dish as it had a paw print on the inside, and he kept backing away from it. Also he wouldn't eat out of a stainless steel bowl when he was younger.

We put him in kennels a few years ago and took all his food and earthernware bowls, the lady who was in charge of feeding fed him in one of their stainless steel bowls ( I didn't know he had a bowl problem at that time) he didn't eat for 3 days, until someone had the bright idea of actually feeding him out of his own bowl!! We don't have any problems with bowls now as he will eat out of anythin

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »
Haven't accidentally stood on a front paw have you? this may make him leap back
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:03:38 PM »
Anal glands? That's my answer to everything  ph34r :lol2: :lol2:

But really could they be full and the combination of excitement over the food and sitting make them hurt?

Millie

Offline tritonx

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 11:17:32 PM »
No, it's the same metal dish he's always used. Heh, funny about your dog backing away from the paw print. Cockers are funny, aren't they, about strange objects. Fraser will be happily bouncing along a path and then spy a block of styrofoam or bit of plastic or practically any lumpy thing and go into spooky mode, nervously creeping forward to investigate but with his back legs stretched out so far back it looks like they've discussed the matter and they're not coming along.

Otherwise, he has no trouble sitting, shows none of the signs of problem anal glands. The only thing I can think is I've either bumped him accidentally and forgotten or put his dish down clumsily making a clunk and he's got it in his head that his food bowl is unpredictable and dangerous. I took extra care this morning to lay it down gently. I'll see if the spookiness dies out. The little yelp surprised me though. For such sturdy animals, cockers really can be fainting violets sometimes.