Author Topic: filtered water??  (Read 685 times)

Offline cookham cocker

• Ruby 9 weeks
filtered water??
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »
I suddenly had a thought tonight that all Ruby's ailments hark back to around the time our new kitchen was installed at start of this year. At this point I started giving her mains water (hard area) from utility as I couldn't easily fill her bowl from the filter system in my new fridge. Are there any views out there on this . I noticed previous posts ref struvite crystals which isn't an issue yet but sounds like it could be in future ! Thanks. Sorry just to add it appears to be skin related ie lots of itching , apricot staining on her paws which she licks a lot, lipfold issues. ear itching and anal glands but would be surprised if last matter was related.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: filtered water??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
I suddenly had a thought tonight that all Ruby's ailments hark back to around the time our new kitchen was installed at start of this year. At this point I started giving her mains water (hard area) from utility as I couldn't easily fill her bowl from the filter system in my new fridge. Are there any views out there on this . I noticed previous posts ref struvite crystals which isn't an issue yet but sounds like it could be in future ! Thanks. Sorry just to add it appears to be skin related ie lots of itching , apricot staining on her paws which she licks a lot, lipfold issues. ear itching and anal glands but would be surprised if last matter was related.

I guess the only way you will know if does make a difference...is to start filling her bowl with the distilled water again..if (as I understand it) you are still using tap water)...make a note of the date you start - as the difference may not be immediate.  ;)          
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline cookham cocker

• Ruby 9 weeks
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
I could do but feel certain I have read somewhere (since she has been on mains water) that you really shouldn't give dogs filtered so thats my concern. If anyone else knows of any issues would appreciate hearing.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
Oh heck, Ellie has been on filtered water for years.  Does anyone know why it is bad for them.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:50:20 PM »
Mine have een on filtered for years too  :-\
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:56 PM »
Oh heck, Ellie has been on filtered water for years.  Does anyone know why it is bad for them.

If babies can drink filtered then why worry.  For people with a low potassium diet eg kidney dialysis patients then filtered water is to be avoided. I was on dialysis for years and high potassium causes an itch on the body and really is a sign of other impending problems.

It would be interesting if you bought a cheap bottle of spring water and put it beside filtered to see what Ellie prefers. She will know what is best.  My two prefer pools of fresh rainwater.  :005:

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »

Dylan had struvite crystals a few years back. I have them both on filtered water also in a hard water area.

Erica.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »
Mine turned their noses up at spring water  >:(

They like rain water too. I only filter mine because my water tastes horrible, don't know if it's because it comes through a mixer tap.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.