Author Topic: Dog keeps having a go at Freya on walks  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Goggins

• Donator
  • Princess "Freya" Trucker (dob:25/03/2011)
Re: Dog keeps having a go at Freya on walks
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Thanks once again for your thoughts about Freya...

She met a gorgeous JR in the park yesterday and played for a while with him...then today we were walking along and Freya must've recognised "said JR" and sje went from happy to frozen mode then started scrabbling at the backs of my legs...thankfully, we walked down the steps onto the promenade away from the poisoned dwarf and her JR so we didnt meet each other. Other than that Freya is as happy as Larry (whoever he is) and just loves life  :luv:
Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 09:26:44 PM »

The attitude was that it was better for her dogs to be off the lead...that would be the dogs who attacked my dog which resulted in multiple wounds and an operation to stitch his throat back together - total cost nearly £600 in money and a lifetime in trauma for my dog.

I do appreciate what you say, but experience and a lot of work to make Harvey the bomb proof specimen he is (except with JRTs) tells me that perhaps letting your dog off to menace others potentially before knowing how the other owner or dog will react is not as brilliant as people are making out...I really feel for Freya

I think i could go on,but as you said earlier we will agree to disagree,but i must say i do have Ruby under control and she doesn't menace other dogs merely interacts with them  :blink:  ;)

Goggins- so glad you had a better day with little Freya  :luv: i had a near miss with the two rotties today,so i know EXACTLY how you feel.
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 09:37:20 PM »

At our puppy classes we expressly tell our puppy owners not to let their pup meet another dog on-lead - they cannot communicate effectively on-lead and if they are nervous they are more likely to fight, as they can't run away.

Meeting on-lead puts the dogs at a serious disadvantage. 

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »
Brodie would go spare if every time she met a dog she was put online, she does not cope well at all at meeting dogs onlead. She could meet a strange black lab offlead and be totally fine - put a lead on her and she turns into a very nervous girl ;). She is never allowed to run up to dogs if they are onlead, as I know just how she reacts when it happens to her.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
Maybe things change by area. Here is is accepted that strangers are met (with and without dogs) with dogs on a lead until both owners agree (or the person who is simply rambling) is fine with it. That is etiquette here and I picked it up from accepted practice.

Offline Uncon

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »
Brodie would go spare if every time she met a dog she was put online, she does not cope well at all at meeting dogs onlead. She could meet a strange black lab offlead and be totally fine - put a lead on her and she turns into a very nervous girl ;). She is never allowed to run up to dogs if they are onlead, as I know just how she reacts when it happens to her.

To be fair, Brodies recall is probably excellent and so this conversation contains off lead meeting advice for those who have confidence in their dogs to meet and greet in an acceptable fashion. What if your dog is not ready to be off lead at all? Should they be menaced by the dogs whose owners assume that all dogs should be? That is a form of bullying isn't it? What about the person without a dog who may hate dogs? Should they have to be pestered by our pets?

I really feel that our responsibility lies further than letting our dogs off the lead...hell! We pick up their poo!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your (and Freya's) experience. I can sort of see where the man is coming from though; for ages you seemed (to him) to be OK with his dog's behaviour, then suddenly turn around and are quite rude to him. I think if I were in his shoes I might react defensively too. Perhaps if you had said to him something along the lines of "I actually don't think my dog likes how your dog behaves towards her much; I know it's a pain but I'd really appreciate it if you could pop him on the lead when you see her" rather than laying into him out of the blue you may have had a different response  :dunno: In a situation like this I think I would apologise next time I saw him for being so rude, explain why I had behaved like that (out of fear and concern) and request him to keep his dog on lead in future. If he refuses, then have a good go at him  ;)

:bigarmhug: to you both

Offline Goggins

• Donator
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:22 PM »
Topic Summary
Posted on: Today at 06:40:35 PM
Posted by: Jeff & Annie
Insert Quote
I'm sorry to hear about your (and Freya's) experience. I can sort of see where the man is coming from though; for ages you seemed (to him) to be OK with his dog's behaviour, then suddenly turn around and are quite rude to him. I think if I were in his shoes I might react defensively too. Perhaps if you had said to him something along the lines of "I actually don't think my dog likes how your dog behaves towards her much; I know it's a pain but I'd really appreciate it if you could pop him on the lead when you see her" rather than laying into him out of the blue you may have had a different response  dunno In a situation like this I think I would apologise next time I saw him for being so rude, explain why I had behaved like that (out of fear and concern) and request him to keep his dog on lead in future. If he refuses, then have a good go at him  Wink

bigarmhug to you both

I have written and re-written this post lots of times so I hope it comes across as polite... ;)

Unfortunately, I do not always make everything clear 100% on my posts when re-telling events and keep trying to make posts shorter than they possibly should be...however, I would like to point out that I certainly was not "rude" to the woman and didnt "lay into her" either. Im afraid if I have to defend Freya then I will do...and I dont think I have anything to apologise for (in my opinion).

I let Freya mix with all dogs providing they are friendly and she romps with many of them. It seems only this dog, that to me is a problem. I know dogs will be dogs and I let Freya get on with it on her own in 99% of cases...

I do not have the time nor energy to pussyfoot around someone like this, who finds it very funny when her dog bullies mine...and will not accept her dog is at fault when clearly her friends around her feel it is. Her JR tried again at the w/end (despite changing my walking times) to pin Freya down and this womans "friends" all shouted out "leave Freya alone and let her go to her mummy"...I think that speaks volumes. Thankfully, them shouting deterred the JR and Freya was left alone.

Carol owned and loved by Freya (my gorgeous cocker spaniel), Thor (boxer) and Merlin (border collie)

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
Sorry, got the wrong end of the stick (even thought it was a man  :huh:).

Offline Goggins

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:06 PM »
 ;) No worries...x

Offline seaangler

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 08:56:24 AM »

At our puppy classes we expressly tell our puppy owners not to let their pup meet another dog on-lead - they cannot communicate effectively on-lead and if they are nervous they are more likely to fight, as they can't run away.

Meeting on-lead puts the dogs at a serious disadvantage.  

Seeing animals 24/7 yesterday on T.V being trained they all met one another on there leads!!!!!!

No wonder there was bedlem with the training yesterday...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline EmmaF

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
I'm sorry to see your having problems with an ignorant owner ( yet another owner who thinks their dogs can do no wrong)
I have 2 collies and a cocker and had an issue with a gsd attacking my Millie (collie) whilst out on a walk. And got abuse because I couldn't recall her. Having a gsd 3 times the size of her chasing her away from me obviously wasn't the issue and once I did it attacked her from behind.
Now I have issues with her and any gsd ... And when competing her (1st yr of agility) she snarls and barks at them until I can distract her with her tuggy or food. Now when I spot gsd I always put her on her lead calmly and walk away or distract her. To which I get a lot of dirty looks from the owners of the gsd's. But I don't care my girl and her fear of them comes first.
Then she was also flipped and I actually mean flipped in the air by a grey hound whilst on a group walk so now I have a "dangerous" dog (according to some girls from the club I train at ... Strangely she has greyhounds whom mills barks at)
At the end of the day ... I know mills has fear aggression. But has never attacked and I mean never any other dog whilst on a walk and she's off lead 99% of the time.
As long as your aware of what's going on around you (and which dogs have the idiot owners) you'll be fine! Also you can report the JR if it's been like that with out dogs.