Author Topic: can dogs taste food ?  (Read 738 times)

Offline gholmes

can dogs taste food ?
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
This has been rumbling around my (tiny) mind  for some time, can dogs taste ?

i always wondered how the hell Alfie can tell what is a  high value food treat, compared to a or non high value food treat, as  he downs both  in less than 1 second, not stopping to savour any flavours or appreciate the finer things  in life. I'm sure if he were a restaurant critic he'd give them all 3 Michelin Stars.  :lol2:

Graeme and Alfie

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: can dogs taste food ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »
AFAIK, dogs can taste but it is limited,they certainly haven't got the tastebuds we have but it's interesting when you say about distinguishing high value treats,i think i would put this down to the smell rather than the taste.  :blink:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
Darcey groans in pleasure if given cheese or something else she really loves. She still wolfs it all down though.
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:52:26 PM »
Only if it makes contact with the tongue on the way down. Don't think it ever has for Buddy.  ph34r

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:10:13 PM »
Morgan has a "gulp it down first and consider the aesthetic importance of taste much later" attitude to food  :005:
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
I think it must be linked to smell as Ben goes mad for some foods, although the length of time he takes to eat is the same I think it is the level of excitement in the anticipation that gives away what he likes  :005:

Harry 'chooses' if the fridge door is open for more that about 5 seconds he will always go for the veg section eg carrot or baby tomatoes.  It is a definite choice as he will ignore meat/cheese anything else and try to grab a tomatoe.  Same when I come in from shopping, he looks for the tomatoes every time  :D

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »
I always thought they could taste as Disney loves anything fish flavoured but maybe that's down to the fact those foods stink so much  :005:

He's fed a dry turkey/rice kibble which he loves but again, that has a really strong smell so maybe that's why  :huh:
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline MillicentWight

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
I have always assumed that dogs have very sensitive taste buds as Millie is very selective with what she eats – only the best human foods or anything else as long as it’s really  disgusting. When it comes to taking tablets though it’s a different story. We try everything including breaking them up and hiding them in cheese or in her dinner but when she’s finished we find every last bit hooked out onto the floor!

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 04:11:22 PM »
Milly usually converts full bowl to empty bowl very quickly. There doesn't seem to be any tasting process going on, it's just hoovered down. :005:

Cheese, specifically Danish Blue, is treated with much more reverence. She actually chews it and makes little squeaking noises while her tail wags at full speed. :lol2:...Even the smallest crumb that may have escaped is hunted down and the floor area for several yards around is subjected to a severe snuffling. ;)

Offline seaangler

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
Milly usually converts full bowl to empty bowl very quickly. There doesn't seem to be any tasting process going on, it's just hoovered down. :005:

Cheese, specifically Danish Blue, is treated with much more reverence. She actually chews it and makes little squeaking noises while her tail wags at full speed. :lol2:...Even the smallest crumb that may have escaped is hunted down and the floor area for several yards around is subjected to a severe snuffling. ;)

We have at to buy a new bowl for are gemma with humps in the bottom to slow her down from eating way to fast...I my self do not think she can taste it either...Thank goodness she has the proteen in to make her healthy and put weight on...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
I think they do definitely.... granted I could probably get maggie to eat something she didn't like if I threw it,  inbetween a couple of pieces of liver cake. She always tastes something the first time she has it... quite often spitting it out before then deciding its ok.
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 08:28:14 AM »

They definately can taste.... whether some dogs give themselves the opportunity to is another matter.

I am owned by a very fussy little hound - the best example of this is liver.  As we feed a raw diet, liver is very important to get the balance of vitamins etc... and we struggled for a long time to get her to eat it.  We have succeeded, on one proviso - it HAS to be New Zealand Lamb's Liver..... British Lamb's liver won't cut it, and as for the liver of any other animal, you'd think we were threatening to poison her!!!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020