Author Topic: Going Crazy!!!  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Pam501

Going Crazy!!!
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »
Well hopefully not me, but Toby!  He seems to have mad moments, first thing in the morning which is understandable but also early evening.  He was so bad last night that he ripped holes in the sleeves of my top.  I'm not sure if I made it worse as I was playing with him (I thought I'd burn his energy off before bedtime) but he seemed to get more and more excited and eventually got hold of my sleeve and got quite aggressive, tugging, crowling and pulling at it when I tried to get him off of.  I gave him a telling off and shut him in the kitchen although I don't think I handled it at all well.

This morning he was going like a mad thing stealing everything he possible could and racing around but I ignored him and after about an hour and a half, he calmed down. 

I've never had a cocker spaniel before and it's many years since I had a puppy.  My previous dog was a German Shepherd but I don't remember her being that crazy.  Any thought please?

Pam

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Going Crazy!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:01:16 AM »
Sounds like normal crazy cocker puppy behaviour i'm afraid :005: I don't have any advice as Freya wasn't too bad but many others have been through it and will have some tips for you on how to handle it

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
Cockers are pretty crazy  :005: :005:. But it could be worth you looking into what he's fed as they can react to different foods, especially if it's full of additives.

Millie can get a bit over excited when we rough play. If she bites me too hard then I go 'OW!' and stop playing with her for a bit.

Millie

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
Mollys 16weeks and the same, I just chuck her outside for 5 minutes. Bella 4years used to as a pup but only  does it on a few occasions (usually when mollys wound her up) again out she goes for 2 mins.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:46:31 AM »
We give ares a time out if gemma gets to the biteing tugging pulling stage and going crazy..... And back in the kichen behind the baby gate until she calms down....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:59:20 AM »
Welcolme to the world of Crazy Cockers  :005: :005: Diesel is 4 and Olli is 3 and they still have little flips usually about 6pm, where they run around the perimeter of the garden, seems a few colrs dogs to the same, there is a post on it on the forum (sorry im not able to find it)

Swop your sleeve for something Toby likes  :005: :005: :005:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline Pam501

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 12:44:50 PM »
Sounds about it Liz - thanks.  Racing like a maniac around the garden.  I thought I was doing something wrong!  I've been putting in the kitchen behind the baby gate when he has got out of hand but wasn't sure if that was the correct way of handling things.  This is a big learning curve for me.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
Sounds about it Liz - thanks.  Racing like a maniac around the garden.  I thought I was doing something wrong!  I've been putting in the kitchen behind the baby gate when he has got out of hand but wasn't sure if that was the correct way of handling things.  This is a big learning curve for me.

As to my post(above) gemma is only 13 weeks....and the re son she has time out ..As she gets older and stronger she will have more time to train and play...

Gem ma being a field spaniel they are when young, look like a bit like mike Tyson with there short stocky front legs...And you have to be care with them when young like gemma is...

This breed has a tendency to go down on the front legs with to much exercising

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Pam501

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
Thanks Seaangler.  I try to remember that but not sure how much they should run around.  I know that you aren't suppose to walk them for more than about 5 minutes.  Toby is 13 weeks old is that about right?

Offline seaangler

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »
I see so Meany people over exercising there puppy's..

Both are puppys are 13 weeks...

Your pup will be getting enough exercise in your own back garden...But i would say if you take him/her out no more than ten minits..extending a bit longer each day as the weeks go by...Does not sound a lot i know...

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Pam501

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:19:06 PM »
Thanks again for the advice.  Can they run around too much?  I know, I'm a bit green as far as cocker puppies are concerned and have a lot to learn.

Offline maddy74

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
When we had Willow at 8 weeks I was gob smacked at just how much energy she had. Although we had researched the breed and was aware of this I still couldn't get over it in reality. When she was having 'a mad one' her eyes would seem to glaze over and there was no reasoning with her. She was worse with OH as he seemed to wind her up more than I did. I would then have to hold her to calm her down and rub her chest and her ears to relax her. Its like they go in a 'zone'. She is 8 and half months now and it does get easier I promise you although thats no comfort at the mo for you.

Willow reduced me to tears some days and I had a few days where I though I had bitten off more than i could chew!! She drew blood a few times whilst getting over excited during play and once OH had a huge nick taken out of his nose. I had a few times where I was at my wits end.

Willow is 8 and half months now and she is so much calmer. I found after a few months of having her she would have her energy times, a walk then eat and then sleep, she soon got into a good routine that we both understood. At first when we had her the first 3 hours after waking were awful and there were times where it was difficult beyond belief. Once Willow got to 6 months we changed her from puppy food to junior food and that made loads of difference. She did get easier before then to.

She does still have the odd made 5 minutes, but I feel more in control of calming her down, she is still quite challenging when she plays with my mums dog and goes in the 'zone' when she is there.

I found mentally stimulating games like hiding treat and balls for her to find would wear her out more than physical play.

If you want any more advice although Im no expert please PM me as we were new to cockers and puppy ownership when we had Willow we did struggle, however she is so good now and hardly any trouble at all. There is light at the end of the tunnel for sure  :005:

Maddy  ;)

Offline seaangler

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »
A very heart warming story...

I am glad to say not all cockers are as bad as one another...

Are peggy has been as good as gold all her life..But very very mardy at times...There are times like at chatsworth last week when she wonted to clime onto my lap every time i stop... >:(

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline Liz F

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »
I see so Meany people over exercising there puppy's..

Both are puppys are 13 weeks...

Your pup will be getting enough exercise in your own back garden...But i would say if you take him/her out no more than ten minits..extending a bit longer each day as the weeks go by...Does not sound a lot i know...

Agree with Seaangler, stick with the 5 min rule and dont overexercise especially on hard ground  :luv:

Liz, Olli & Diesel xx

Offline weekir

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:29:14 AM »
Glad im not alone badger is a crazy cocker lol great temperment but last night he had a crazy moment. i just stood back and watched let him get it it all out :)
1st time ive had a cocker..im used to labs and border terriers.