Author Topic: Fetch training works for real, yay!  (Read 513 times)

Offline tritonx

Fetch training works for real, yay!
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »
I have a bad back and have become very clumsy in my old age, always dropping things and having to bend down to get them. Recently it occurred to me that it would be very handy if I could get Fraser to give me some help, so I started clicker training him to bring various objects of different sizes, textures and shapes. I'd line up things like a hat, a duster, a pair of protection goggles, a small wooden ornament, a glove, and even a hairy duster on a stick to get him used to fetching random objects.  I'd toss the item out and get him to wait for the command to bring it and hand it to me. He loves being trained so happily brought back all of the objects, sometimes nosing around it to figure out exactly how to lift the thing. He didn't like the hairy duster, but finally figured how to get it in his mouth by the handle so the hairy bits didn't get up his nose. All good.

The other day I was walking along the seawall and Fraser crouched for a poop. I got the poop bag out and just as I was about to put it to use, a gust of wind snatched it out of my hand and it slipped down the sloping face of the seawall. It was only about four feet down, but the slope was too steep for me to risk going down, so I tried to hook it with my walking stick. No luck as the wind was rolling it along the base of the wall. As I poked at it with my stick, it suddenly occurred to me that this was exactly the sort of situation I was training Fraser for. I pointed to the bag and gave him the 'bring it' command, but he wasn't sure what I wanted, I suppose because it was a different context from his training. But I repeated the command and to my delight, he stretched down and got the bag in his teeth and then brought it back to me. I was beyond thrilled. This was the first time his training was so specifically useful to me. Clever pup. Now if I could teach him to mix a martini, I'd be set  :D

Offline Evadee

Re: Fetch training works for real, yay!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 08:20:53 AM »
Clever Fraser  :clapping:

Just goes to show what they can do with hard work and patience.

Yeah Martini mixing might be a bit much  :005:

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:51 AM »
What a clever boy! yes, I'd be very thrilled as well............ :D :clapping:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:41:16 AM »
Brilliant - This is something that Roly does too and loves it.  Since he is the main culprit for hiding my shoes (never chews them) I thought its only fair that he should find them for me.  So I regularly ask him to find shoes.  If you drop pens or the TV remote you can ask him to fetch just by pointing.  In fact anything that you drop he will pick up, though sometimes you have to bribe him with food to return them  :lol2:
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 08:49:54 AM »
Clever Fraser  :luv:  :clapping: :clapping:

Offline Sara_Clara

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »
Well done Fraser   :D
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:14:39 PM »
Clever boy  :clapping: :clapping: And clever you for training him so well  :shades:. I have trained Millie to fetch the remote control  ph34r.

Millie

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »
Great stuff!! Its really nice he's helping you out  :luv: :D

When I was pregnant I was huge and struggled to pick things up off the floor so Mika became my fetch and carry dog! She loves bringing the shopping in from the car to. Last week I dropped a fairy cake on the drive and didn't notice, Mika (daft of clever, can't decide!) fetched it in and gave it to me!! It was covered in slobber  :005: ph34r She had a big reward for that one!

Offline tritonx

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:48:10 PM »
How cool. A whole new world of doggie usefulness. Yes, the slobber part of it isn't so great, slimy remotes etc. but it's a fair exchange for them doing a little work for their keep. Of course their main work they do without training--cuddles for free and endless cuteness.

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
Bless his heart, what a clever dog! This is something I would like to try with Clover when she is older, to help keep her (and her brain) occupied!  :D
To know them is to love them.....