Author Topic: He wants something. Still.  (Read 543 times)

Offline tritonx

He wants something. Still.
« on: November 19, 2011, 04:35:04 AM »
I posted a while ago about Fraser in the evenings whining and looking at me with a transmission beaming at my brain that I'm unable to decode. Several suggestions were forthcoming (including second fear stage and clinginess), but he's still doing it. He's absolutely normal in every other way, food, excretion, play, health. Typical evening (after a normal day), he whimpers and transmits some mysterious desire. I ask him if he wants out, open the door, he looks as if it's not what he wants exactly, but the door's open, may as well go out. Back in, more transmission. I cuddle him for a while, maybe groom him. He enjoys well enough, but resumes behaviour after he gets down. I say, bring a toy. He stumps off and brings one and we play a desultory game of fetch. Etc. Etc. I'm beginning to feel as if he's got me at the end of a string that he tugs from time to time. (Some weird kind of payback for every day leash walking, but symbolic? Man, this dog is subtle.) So, best option to ignore him until he gets no reward for pulling on my string? I'm so used to trying to read his behaviour and supply his needs, it's been my first instinct to find out what he wants or needs. Maybe time to draw a line under this one?

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
Re: He wants something. Still.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 05:45:05 AM »
Does he just want to get on your lap for a cuddle?! Millie will give me certain stare if she wants a cuddle, I invite her up and she usually flops onto her back (after a few cuddles and face pawing  :005:) and will go sound asleep for as long as I stay there  :luv:

If you stand up what is his first reaction? Is he excited?

Millie

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:55:02 AM »
It might be frustrated cuddle desire. I have a bad back and can't sit for long, so lie on a love seat where I can watch TV. There's not enough room for him there too. He could scrunch up under my bent legs and I try to get him to lie there, but he's not keen. Right now he's lying on the floor beside me. When I stand up he will sit, looking at me. He sits like that at the intersection of the dining room and kitchen (I have an open plan l/r, d/r and kitchen), so I get the impression it's something out there he wants. So confusing. Eventually it gets to the time of evening when he just wants to sleep so he goes to the other sofa, the fireplace or on the floor beside me.

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
I think he's training you well  :005: He stares, you wil take some action. That's the way it go's now with the two of you. Try to keep control, not let him decide if it's time for action.

You could begin with some play time when he's not asking for it.
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline DarceyTheDog

• Shutterbugs of shadwell
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »
Darcey does this sometimes too I don't know what she wants either.  :lol: she's usually good at telling us what she wants though like smacking you in the face if she wants the loo or goes the the kitchen door if she wants a treat (that one doesn't work!)
Katie, Darcey and Mitsy

Offline tritonx

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:43 PM »
I suspect he's training me. If I hear a clicker, I'll know for sure. He's clear on his other needs, out to pee, play, food, treat etc. This sitting by the intersection of the living room/dining room beaming a message is baffling. I've even though he's decided it's bed time and he's ready to go off to the bedroom and telling me it's time to go to bed.  (Bit like having a husband.) I guess I'll ignore it and assume if he gets no response from me, it'll die out.

Offline Christal

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 05:30:33 AM »
He's not trying to hypnotise you into taking him for another walk is he?  ;)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 06:35:03 AM »
It might be frustrated cuddle desire. I have a bad back and can't sit for long, so lie on a love seat where I can watch TV. There's not enough room for him there too. He could scrunch up under my bent legs and I try to get him to lie there, but he's not keen. Right now he's lying on the floor beside me. When I stand up he will sit, looking at me. He sits like that at the intersection of the dining room and kitchen (I have an open plan l/r, d/r and kitchen), so I get the impression it's something out there he wants. So confusing. Eventually it gets to the time of evening when he just wants to sleep so he goes to the other sofa, the fireplace or on the floor beside me.

Ah Millie lies on top of me so we don't have that problem  :lol2:. If I lie on my back she jumps onto my stomach then rolls onto her back with her nose tucked into my neck  :luv: :luv:

Millie