Author Topic: Raw food question - does anyone feed pheasant legs?  (Read 431 times)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Raw food question - does anyone feed pheasant legs?
« on: December 04, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
I have a pheasant to cook tonight and as I know I'll only eat the breast meat I thought I could take the legs off (before cooking of course) and let William and Louis have them.

I know to check for shot, but apart from that is there any problem feeding them pheasant legs? Louis has chicken wings every so often, William less so because he's inclined to bolt them and throw up. So if he gets a pheasant leg I'll be holding it firmly to make sure he crunches it up nicely.

Apart from the potential hazard of shot is there anything in pheasant that would make it wise to freeze it and thaw before feeding, or is it OK to feed fresh?

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Re: Raw food question - does anyone feed pheasant legs?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:19:34 PM »
I've fed pheasant legs and I've had no problems but mine love their food and on the whole what goes down, stays down in our house. :005:

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Raw food question - does anyone feed pheasant legs?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:29:34 PM »
I've fed pheasant legs and I've had no problems but mine love their food and on the whole what goes down, stays down in our house. :005:

Thankyou :D

Now that I'm reassured, Louis will definitely be getting a pheasant leg. He has the digestive system of a hyena  :005: and is surprisingly careful when he has chicken wings or a chicken carcass, so pheasant leg shouldn't be a problem.

I'll make up my mind about William when I take the legs off the pheasant and have a really good look at them. I'm sure he'd love it but even with me holding the leg while he eats it there may still be  :020: later in the evening, which is horrible for him, poor boy (and if I'm not quick off the mark to clean up afterwards Louis will eat it)  :020: :020: