Author Topic: what whistle?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline grav

what whistle?
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:03 PM »
does it actually matter what dog whistle you use?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: what whistle?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:51:19 PM »
Possibly not as long as you are consistent but most people on here seem to use an Acme 210.5 whistle which is recommended for spaniels.  I think it is the pitch that they seem to respond to best  ;)  If you do a search on whistle training, you will find lots of threads about how to do it  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline Pilki

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09:25 PM »
Where do u get one from, i bought one from pets at home and he doesnt seem to like it, goes and hides when I blow it.  Is this normal.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:02 PM »
I got mine (Acme 210-1/2) from a gun shop in Cardiff - also picked up a lanyard as well
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline grav

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:23 PM »
how did you guys find training your dog using a whistle? want to use it for recall purposes, thinking of using Top Barks techniques. Any of you guys used this?

Offline Pilki

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
I was also thinking the same and would like to hear veiws, the older Ollie gets all the work we had done seems to be going out the window.  He does listen and comes back takes one look at me and he's off again.  Trying to get his lead back on is a nightmare, begining to think he will not be let off 2 run free...... :huh:

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
how did you guys find training your dog using a whistle? want to use it for recall purposes, thinking of using Top Barks techniques. Any of you guys used this?

Yes it is great - give it a go!  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline max2011

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
I followed Top Barks sticky - It is fantastic. Max has always returned to the whistle unlike his recall when I call his name!! Make sure you use a high value treat just for the whistle such as chicken.

Offline seaangler

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
I followed Top Barks sticky - It is fantastic. Max has always returned to the whistle unlike his recall when I call his name!! Make sure you use a high value treat just for the whistle such as chicken.

I all ways take the Whistle out with me for my dogs..(Cindy the old girl is getting a bit mutten jeff lately)..The other two come straight out with two blows on the whistle..You try showting(There names) when there a wind blowing...Can beat a whistle....The sound of the whistle carrys further....

Gemma..Cindy And peggy

Offline KayJay

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
It works extremely well....but you do need to put in some work to maintain the behaviour.....once it's taught, that's not the end of it. If you stop rewarding, the behaviour will deteriorate....why should they come back if we stop paying? I still reward every time my dog comes back, either with a titbit, a toy or permission to go back to what she was doing. I also reward when she checks in voluntarily, so that coming to me/being with me is still high value to her. You should also build in a collar-grab (we teach it as a separate game at home....touch the collar, get a treat), and take hold of the collar when the dog comes back, reward, sometimes several rewards so you don't get a "drive by", release....then you don't get the dodging away.
Kay Jennings CAP 1 & 2
www.fourpawsonedirection.co.uk

Offline karen488

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 10:12:31 AM »
Another acme whistle user here. Think one of the whistles advantages is that it doesnt sound angry or panicked  ;)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:06:35 PM »
It works extremely well....but you do need to put in some work to maintain the behaviour.....once it's taught, that's not the end of it. If you stop rewarding, the behaviour will deteriorate....why should they come back if we stop paying? I still reward every time my dog comes back, either with a titbit, a toy or permission to go back to what she was doing. I also reward when she checks in voluntarily, so that coming to me/being with me is still high value to her. You should also build in a collar-grab (we teach it as a separate game at home....touch the collar, get a treat), and take hold of the collar when the dog comes back, reward, sometimes several rewards so you don't get a "drive by", release....then you don't get the dodging away.

great post! :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline KayJay

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:19 PM »
Why thank you!  :021:
Kay Jennings CAP 1 & 2
www.fourpawsonedirection.co.uk

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 07:44:54 PM »
Why thank you!  :021:

Now how could i tell that was a trainers post ? :005: :005: :005:

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk