Author Topic: Hand command ideas for roll over  (Read 553 times)

Offline tritonx

Hand command ideas for roll over
« on: March 21, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
This is kind of a stupid question. I should be able to think of something myself. I recently taught Fraser to roll over. He wasn't mad about being on his back so it took a while, but he does it readily now. However, there is interference with a command he already knew which is twirl for which I make a little stir in the air. When I want him to roll over I tell him to lie down and then make a gesture in the air that is clearly too close to the stir gesture as poor dog gets up, twirls, lies down, acts confused. So, that's one part. Need a gesture for roll over that doesn't look like the twirl one. Also, when I ask him to lie down, he now associates that with roll over. A clear roll over gesture would help him differentiate between an ordinary lie down gesture, flat hand, palm down and roll over. I'm sure I'm making this all too complicated, but it's got me stumped.

Offline Petepreston

Re: Hand command ideas for roll over
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
Isn't it just: flat hand, palm facing down, then flip it over to palm up? The first part ties in with "lie down" anyway.

Offline tritonx

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 01:04:14 AM »
Hand palm down and turn up for the roll over? ( :005: just did it in the air and it does kind of look like a roll over.) Good idea. Will give it a try with him and clicker reinforcement. Thank you  :D

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 08:43:06 AM »
It's the gesture that Posie consistently ignores, and as we all know; consistency is he most important part!  ;)

Offline tritonx

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »
Just did it this morning with the clicker and it'll work just fine. No twirling on the spot.

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:11 PM »
Hooray! That was simple, eh?  ;)