Author Topic: Bedding....  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Bedding....
« on: March 22, 2005, 09:58:29 PM »
We're having trouble with Molo and his bedding  :(  He used to have a nice, locally made  dog-cushion, which he decided to rip open and toss the kapok everywhere  :rolleyes:

I tried to get hold of a cheap blanket from a charity shop but apparently, blankets now get collected by charities that take them overseas  :)  So, I bought a single duvet for him for a few £.

It lasted about a week  - today, OH came into the kitchen to find a 'snowstorm'  :lol:

I don't really want to get another duvet, cos its a bit dangerous, and expensive, but Molo is obviously not happy with just vetbed, as he scrunches it up into a pile, and curls up on top of it every night  :(

Any suggestions on where I can get either: cheap, washable blankets OR some form of bedding that will withstand an adolescent dog at the peak of a chewing phase?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 10:05:45 PM »
We can find old towels at our charity shops, they seem to do Ok so far.

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 10:14:04 PM »
Hi Rachel

Both of ours have a habit of scrunching the vetbed up and lying on the bottom of the crate  :rolleyes: They also have soft beds with fleece blankets for when they are out of the crate and they dig the blankets and the bottom of the beds up and lie on top of that too. Its as if they prefer sumat hard to lie on  :rolleyes:

We stopped giving them other things to sleep on cos it didnt matter what we gave them it all got scrunched and dug up lol.

I am sure he will be OK with just vetbed, our are....well they dont have a choice when they are crated!

Janey

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Bedding....
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 10:35:14 PM »
Rachel. Alfie done the same with his duvet so now he has a bit of carpet cut to fit and if hes pretty wet I thow in a towel or two. He appears to be happy with this although he usually sleeps on the floor beside the bed at night
Caroline and Alfie

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 10:45:23 PM »
Ours tend to rip apart doggie duvets aswell!!!  We use large bath towels and old blankets.
Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline wahm

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 11:05:36 PM »
Mine has done the same so i bought some vet bed and sewed it to make a cushion.He can't seem to rip it up no matter how hard he tries!!!.

Sue & Barley Boo[/size][/font]

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Bedding....
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005, 12:18:19 AM »
I got a lovely (large) fleece blanket out of Next for Buttons, from the pet pages in the Directory, it's lasted for well over a year and is still in excellent condition. It washes and tumble dry's great to. I tend to fold it over a few times so it fits her bed nice and snug  :)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 08:18:03 AM »
I just use fleecy blankets too.  I've got a bout half a dozen that are in and out of the washing machine all the time.  A couple of them are huge and were about £20 from one of the catalogues (Grattan, or something) but three of them are from Ikea and were only a couple of quid each - they had great colours too  :D

Hope you find something Molo-proof  :D
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Bedding....
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:19:19 AM »
Sorry forgot to say, I've got about 6 smaller ones to, I buy them at shows you can usually get 3 for £5  :)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 09:30:40 AM »
Sorry I forgot to say that Aldi had some lovely cat and dog fleece blankets for an incredibly low price the other day.

Problem is that they tend to just do them til they run out, so you may not find them.

Offline catwillow

• Site Member
    • http://www.lapislumina.co.uk/
Bedding....
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 01:52:03 PM »
Ours use all sorts, we have vetbedding in their crates which I must admit they tend to leave alone (touch wood :) ) and in their beds down stairs they have old blankets, fleeces and towels, they like to drag these out of the bed and sleep on the hard bed most of the time though  :rolleyes:  :lol:
Hugs n stuff

Sheri  XxX
Lilly, Murphy & Sally xxx

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Bedding....
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
Scully has a Barka Parka beanbag bed complete with waterproof layer and washable covers. She's had it since she was a puppy and she's now 8. Its still going strong and is still as good as new.

Barka Parka
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Jo & Dennis

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 03:34:45 PM »
HOLLY HAS VETBED AND I BUY HER FLEECE BLANKETS FROM IN STORE OR POUNDSTECHER COST ABOUT £4 EACH AND WASH REALLY WELL
Holly's Mum & Dad

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Bedding....
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 04:03:42 PM »
Jovi likes to destroy bedding too, funnily enough Neo's not his!!  :blink:

He can make holes in vet bed, he makes large holes in towels (there's never any sign of the bits either), he rips open pads/cushions.. So not had much luck.

I bought a large bit of vetbed at crufts, and the first day they had it to lie on, he came running into the bathroom to see me with a grey tuft hanging from his mouth  :rolleyes: I've only let them have it whilst I'm about (baskets have got the old stuff in), and every time I see him having a go at it, I tell him off.. He always look contrite but not sure if it'll really stop him!!!

He chewed a huge whole in hubbies fav Gap sweatshirt which really upset him!!!
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

sweetie

Bedding....
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 06:26:18 PM »
i bought two gorgeous fleece blankets when i visted ruth,and lugged them all the way home,,they hated them,,scrunched them up,threw them out,so now i use them as covers for the settees in the shop, :rolleyes: