Author Topic: The best food/treats to train our working cocker??  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Rolo12

Re: The best food/treats to train our working cocker??
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 01:51:31 PM »
Hi

I've just made a load of liver bread and chicken bread treats using the recipe from dogs trust.  The liver just came from the supermarket and the chicken bread was just scraps of chicken from the one I was preparing for our dinner.  I'll let you know how monty responds to them.

Ingredients
about 350g lamb or chicken liver
1 egg       
1 tsp baking powder
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
150g wholemeal flour
Method
Put the liver, egg, garlic, oil and baking powder in a food processor, and whizz it up until it is a course paste. If you don’t have a food processor, mix it thoroughly with your hands.

Add the flour gradually until you have got a thick paste that won’t take any more flour. Put the mixture on to a plate and spread so it is about 1cm thin and microwave for around 8 mins or until spongy.

Slice into tiny cubes and then wrap in bits of tin foil so you can freeze it in training sized portions until you are doing a training session.

You can replace the liver with tuna in either oil or spring water (not brine). If the tuna is in oil, no need to add extra.

Wow that sounds pretty impressive - thanks for the advice. I might try with tuna as i have lots of that at home however I am not very good in the kitchen so it should be interesting...  :005:

Definatly let me know how Monty responds to these! Hope he is getting on ok today!  :D
Caz :)

Offline Sherlock

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Great ideas above!

Or you could try chicken skin, dried in the oven, or bought from somewhere like zooplus.co.uk. Sounds gross, but it's one of the few things that Sherlock will bother to eat when we're on walks - unfortunately he's not food oriented at all, so we've spent the last year trying to find things to tempt him with!

I also bake liver - don't mix it with anything, just cut it up and put it in the oven on a low heat for a couple of hours. Then I freeze what I'm not using that day.

That pic of him at 7 weeks is just adorable. I can't wait to see more when you finally get to take the little cutie home!!  :D

Offline Tiger

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »
Monty seems to love them. I'm using the kibble for normal training and then the liver bread for special rewards  :D

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »
Where
ours gets pigs liver. just cook in microwave and cut into small bits, you need the tiniest amounts. was recommended by our puppy class teacher (other pups wont entertain shop bought treats now) no E numbers to hype them up. we just get a pack about 50p gives us bout 6 portions & freeze. 1 bag lasts about 3/4 days.

Ok i will try that - thanks! Where can I buy these from?

Any supermarket, we get it from asda as its the closest. just check in the meat section with kidney etc.
Run Free my little Laddie xxx