Author Topic: Max - Again!?  (Read 809 times)

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Max - Again!?
« on: March 26, 2005, 08:09:07 AM »
I am hoping to move house in a couple of weeks and as the layout of the garden and the access into the house is different from what i have now i am going to have a problem with my cats - their safety and being in a new area i don't wish them to wander off.

My big problem of course is that Max chases them when he sees them.
Of course then the other 2 join in.

I really need to fix this as much as i can before i move ( the cats will be crated for a few days when we move but can't keep them locked up forever ).

I'm worried of course that he will never let them into the garden and therefore they can't gain access to the house.  I just let them in the front door here and they have access to dining room and upstairs, but in the new house they wouldn't be able to come in as easily and not be noticed by the dogs as the layout is different.

Help!!

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Max - Again!?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 08:37:51 AM »
Is there anyway you can have the cats at the new house for at least a day and a night before the dogs join you?

Cats do get their bearings usually fairly quickly but only if they get a chance. :unsure:

We've been lucky the past two times we moved we had the cats only - no dogs - but we were able to move the cats in the day and night before we moved in so they were given a really good explore of the gardens on leads and kept hungry and tempted back with food etc. Then for the night they had litter trays down and were given pretty much free run. Next day when removal men and everybody arrived etc they just wandered off but never far and we never had a problem.

Depending how far away etc you're moving it could be worthwhile exploring kennels for a couple of days then bring the dogs back when everything else is settled and the cats have moved in so to speak.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Max - Again!?
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 08:58:03 AM »
I am 'swapping' house which means i have to empty my house and move into the next one in the same day :o
The cats will be with my sister for a day or two - as she lives down the road from where i am moving to.  The dogs will be with her on the day i move.

Would make the move so much better if Max didn't chase them all the time <_<

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Max - Again!?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 09:14:32 AM »
Maybe you will need to control Max's movements for a day or two until the cats orientate themselves to their new surroundings. Could he be kept in certain areas so he unable to see the cats and agitate them, or when he goes out is it possible he could be chained up safely so he is unable to chase the cats off?

Failing that option, is it possible to impose on your sister to keep him for a couple of days?
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Max - Again!?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 09:23:43 AM »
Failing that option, is it possible to impose on your sister to keep him for a couple of days?

Hmmm - might not want him back if i do that - my house would be sooo peaceful again :ph34r:
Only kidding Max - love you to bits really :D

Could lock him in the shed for a couple of days though :lol:  

I do have a ground peg and long lead i could use - if its at the back of the garden at least the cats may have a chance of getting into the house - as long as he doesn't wind the girls up and they chase the cats <_<

Any hints how to get him to make friends with them or at least not give chase?

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Max - Again!?
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 03:07:41 PM »
 ;)
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline PennyB

Max - Again!?
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »
I kept my cats in for quite a while when I moved house and they have the run of upstairs anyway. Is there any way you can restrict the dogs and not allow them upstairs so at least cats  know they have a safe have somewhere in the house. Some people use a houseline for encounters in the house.

Mine still periodically chase the cats but at least the cats know that once they've jumped over the gate they can be upstairs in peace.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!