Author Topic: Earthborne holistic?  (Read 571 times)

Offline coopersmum

Earthborne holistic?
« on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Earthborn Holistic dog food range (made in the USA) and if so, is it any good? His lordship has been on Eukanuba sensitive digestion and then recently Hills but they really don't agree with him. We are limited in our choice of food here and the three top of the range dog foods are considered to be Royal Canin, Eukanuba and Hills, which I know are not considered the best quality elsewhere in the world:(  The Earthborn range has recently become available and I'm really interested in trying him on it as it seems to be quite good quality and the carbohydrate portion isn't maize but barley, sweet potato,potato and rye. It certainly doesn't seem as full of all the scary stuff the other three are full of. Any thoughts would be much appreciated?   

Offline john51

Re: Earthborne holistic?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »
The ingredients do look good with all the proteins and fats from named species, and I would think it would be well worth trying. If you look at the difference between the with-grain and grain-free foods there is a big difference between the protein levels. With grain it's 22%, with a highish carbohydrate content which is typical of many other foods. However, if like me you have a bias towards meat-based foods, you may be consider that a bit low. The grain-free formula has a protein level of 38%.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 04:13:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply :) I did think it looked quite good and definitely better than the Hills/Eukanuba he's been on. We have limited choice here and the only grain free one they had was the one with chicken and turkey. I wanted to try him on a single protein source so I've gone with the fish, although its not grain free. I'm going to ask if they can get him the grain free fish one the next time I go in as that would be my preference for him. Going to keep my fingers crossed that I've finally found him the right food (he thinks that ANY food is the right food for him) :D

Offline john51

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
He sounds like a dog with the same food philosophy as Lenny.   ;)   Earthborn looks very similar in approach to the Acana foods (made in Canada) which I have been feeding to Lenny. If you could get those I would certainly recommend them. This time I have tried Applaws and we seem to having some problems with him appearing hungry all the time. May well go back to Acana or even try the Earthborn range in future.
Home of Lenny and the late, great, Dylan.

Offline coopersmum

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:23:10 PM »
Cooper and Lenny obviously love their grub :) We don't get any of the Acana foods here that I know of, although I heard that Orijen is being imported but that's out of my price range here. He seems to really like the Earthborn so far but that's not a good yardstick with Coop ;)