Author Topic: Aaargh! Have agreed to try an agility class  (Read 3008 times)

Offline ali2010

Aaargh! Have agreed to try an agility class
« on: July 20, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
Yes, me and Albert have said we will try an agility class next week  :005:  Am not exactly nimble on my feet so it could be a disaster!

Does anyone else do agility?  Is it as hard as it looks?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Aaargh! Have agreed to try an agility class
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »
Lots of folk on here do agility - and I believe from the general consensus that it is great fun for dog and owner.  Tried it myself for a little while - great dog, shame about the owner lol  :lol:

Give it a go  :D as long as your dog is old enough - think the minimum age for some jumps  is 12 months but might be wrong there.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:56 PM »
Yes it's hard, but it's also great fun.

I'm an overweight, unfit 50 something and I did agility training and (eventually) competitions with William until he damaged his back 3 years ago. If Albert has a good sit stay that will really help you because once he's learned how to jump etc. you can leave him at the start of a course and walk to a point where you can call him over the jumps. Having a good sendaway helps a lot too. My plan was always to do as little running as possible and let William do it :lol2:

Initially you won't really be doing much running about anyway as it will be all about teaching Albert how to use each piece of equipment correctly. If you enjoy it and keep going with it it's the best way (in my opinion) to build up a very strong bond with your dog. You have to be a partnership, with Albert reading your body language and you giving the correct signs and body language to send him the right way. When you both get it right it's magic :luv:

PS. William's back damage wasn't necessarily due to doing agility, so don't worry about that.

Hope you enjoy it :D

Offline black taz

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
agility is excellent.  I am in the Elaine camp - 50 and overweight.  I compete with both Taz (my cocker) and lab (kira) with varying success.  I love it, it is so much fun and challenging, but such an achievement when it all comes together.

let us know how it goes - it does get addictive though, especially if you compete.

I was really surprised when i started competing the age range, both dogs and handlers.  There are people in their 70's still doing agility and lots of dogs doing well into old age, even if somewhat slow and over low equipment but the look of pleasure of their faces when they do it makes you realise why you started in the first place.

If you fancy going along to a competition just to see what goes on, have a look at www.agilitynet.co.uk

Offline ali2010

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:31 PM »
Feel a bit better after reading your comments, am quite looking forward to doing something different. was a bit worried as Albert is 8 so I wondered if he is a bit old but we will give it a go

Offline *Jes*

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:54:32 PM »
Hey

I do Agility Training with Sadie and Archie and they both love it - even tho they tend to tread on their ears  :005:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
Don't worry, I do agility with Ollie who will be 8 in October. We love it  :D. Emily does the odd course too when she feels e it and she's 10.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline maddy74

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:41 PM »
Weve had only two sessions with Willow and I have to say we are both loving it  ;) We are only getting used to the equipment atm but adding two bits together. I am overweight and have to say I think I will need to shift some lbs if I was ever to want to compete as my little Willow can out run her fat mummy for sure  :005: I think its going to be addictive  ;) Enjoy  :D

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
another newbie to it too- ive dabbled in a bit of showing and enjoyed that but not sure Indie did, so im going to stick to the occassional fun show and give agility a go as she's quite high energy and i think it'll help us continue our training? I've been recommended a class relatively nearby so gonna give it a go soonish! Has anyone got any tips for the first class for us? I've been practising her 'wait' and it's ok-ISH...

Offline black taz

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 09:51:56 PM »
take her favourite toy and some yummy treats - and enjoy it

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
How did it go?  :D
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 05:54:17 PM »
We too are interested in agility. Put Woody's name down last week as there is quite a waiting list but can't wait to start. I'm sure you'll have great fun.