Author Topic: Jazzing up dry food  (Read 814 times)

Offline Chillis

Jazzing up dry food
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »
Peps is currently on fish4dogs & we mix some boiled chicken
eventually we'll try raw again but this time NI
Is there anyway we can jazz up the kibble? Was thinking maybe boiling turkey breast & can alternate or even a bit of wet food, different flavours ect?
I'd be bored rotten on one flavour & would like her tummy to get use to different things
any ideas?

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
Re: Jazzing up dry food
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:55:38 PM »
Until I went onto Natural Instinct, I used the Fish 4 Dogs Salmon mousse. The dogs seemed to enjoy their kibble much more  ;)

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Lily Pup

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:16:17 PM »
I use a weak gravy or if I've been cooking fresh meat, put a bit of water in the bottom of the tray, it stops the juices sticking to the pan then tip them out onto kibble  :D

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
I add some cooked chicken or sardines to my girls kibble or occassionally a little cooked mince to make their dinner a little more interesting.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Chillis

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
Ooo have some moose in the cubroad! Was put of it last time when it stained the bowl with fishy smell  :lol2:
Might try again! Been looking at applaws, any good?

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 08:41:41 PM »
Ooo have some moose in the cubroad! Was put of it last time when it stained the bowl with fishy smell  :lol2:
Might try again! Been looking at applaws, any good?

My Papillon adores Applaws  :luv: It is quite expensive but I suppose as a topper would be ok. He used to have the one in the pouches. Other similar foods to look out for are Encore and Lily's Kitchen if you are thinking along these lines.  ;)

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
Salmon oil?

Offline karen488

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
I buy the cheapest fish in oil sometimes and put it on. Figure it's the strong smell that can help.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 10:13:17 AM »
Sometimes if they are really enjoying their kibble like Riley then its best not to vary their diet too much as it "can" make them fussy.
However I do give him the odd salmon mousse or tinned sardines , very occasionally bit chicken or scrambled egg.
My friend did this and now her dog turns his nose up at his regular kibble as he expects something extra every time.

I can do it with Riley as he is so greedy and eats plain kibble like its a gourmet meal  :005:

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »
I do agree it *could*  :-\ make a dog fussy but i would be "eat it or go hungry" if that happened.  ph34r
Nature menu at Pets at Home do a good range of frozen nuggets made of various things.I use the fruit/veg and rosemary ones.

I also occasionally use..
meat juices
grated carrot/cheese
tinned sardines
1 or 2 defrosted whitebait

Everything in moderation as the kibble should be tasty enough on it's own soaked in a little warm water and also dogs have no where near as many taste buds as we do.  ;)

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.