Author Topic: A trip to the vet - said RAW was best!!  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
A trip to the vet - said RAW was best!!
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:49:40 AM »
Jinley went to the vets this morning to get her ears checked and I asked him while I was there about dental hygiene and cleaning her teeth as I was worried that she had a couple of marks on her teeth.

When I said she was on a raw meat and bone diet he said that was the best diet for any dog!!

Just thought I would share it with you, it isnt very often a vet will endorse a raw diet!

Pat

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: A trip to the vet - said RAW was best!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:42 AM »
Wow that great news.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
 :clapping: Hang on to that vet!!!!
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »
:clapping: Hang on to that vet!!!!

absolutely  :angel: - they're a rare find but they do exist   ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »
You are very lucky  :D

After mentioning that i was moving Ruby over to raw i was met with disapproval,i could have bit off my tongue as i said it.  :-\

I was given a mini lecture about having to worm every 3 months,that it's not all it's cracked up to be and that you have to make sure the diet is totally balanced which is why it is best to feed kibble as it has everything a dog needs in it <rolls eyes>.Where did i source the meat?,blah,blah,blah.
I find it annoying when you ask/challenge a vet about anything and you are met with the remark "did you read that on the internet"  >:D

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Abbi

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »
Good to hear that. I'm too scared to tell my vet that I've switched to RAW now and it seems to have sorted Abbi's digestion issues that we'd spent £100's pounds at vets having tests and special diets to sort out! (He had said, before I spent £100's, that this would def make it worse but I thought as nothing else was sorting it out that I had nothing to lose!)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
Yes I thought he was a rare breed!!  Perhaps it is because he is not only a town vet, but one that deals with farm animals around Shropshire?

Pat

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »
Good to hear that. I'm too scared to tell my vet that I've switched to RAW now and it seems to have sorted Abbi's digestion issues that we'd spent £100's pounds at vets having tests and special diets to sort out! (He had said, before I spent £100's, that this would def make it worse but I thought as nothing else was sorting it out that I had nothing to lose!)
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: well done for having the courage to try it for your girl  :luv:
My vet agrees it is good and has sent a lady to chat with me about it  :shades: although on one occasion she stated that she would like to feed her dog raw but got free food from manufactures " so why would i"and on the second she said she was too lazy  :huh: doesn't appear ,to me ,that she has her dogs best interest at heart >:( >:(

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 03:35:06 PM »
Great!  That is quite unusual from what I hear  >:(

You are probably right that being a country vet gives him a different view - I think plenty of working dogs are fed at least partly raw  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »
Excellent Pat :D
My vet neither agrees nor disparages my choice to feed raw, but he did say Millie's teeth are much cleaner and he has definitely noticed a reduction in my trips for ear problems  ;)

I can't wait to take Hazel for her yearly check up cos I think she looks cracking, just like Miss J  :luv:
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
I have been feeding raw to my tribe for about a year now and have reduced my account at the vets by 50%. No allergies, tummy upsets or anything else, just boosters maternity care and puppy injections. ;)
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »
We have a new vet in our village that feeds his own two working cocker raw diets. He also recomends it to his clients.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010