Author Topic: Homemade Training Treats  (Read 2012 times)

Offline sueturnersmith

Homemade Training Treats
« on: October 11, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
I've found a brilliant training treat recipe for dogs, and it's really cheap!

Take a pack of liver - any sort - I used pigs liver which cost 55p. Put into a casserole with a sliced carrot and a couple of crushed garlic cloves. Cover with boiling water, and cook in the oven at 160 C for an hour.

Remove from oven, and take out the liver. Save the carrot and juices to pour over the dog's dinner as a treat.

Dice the liver into small pieces about the size of your little finger nail, and put on a baking tray. Bake in a very slow oven - 130 to 140 C - for about two hours, by which time the liver pieces will be dry.

It makes loads, will keep for ages, and my 9 month old Ollie loves them.

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
Re: Homemade Training Treats
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
This sounds great - much more economical than buying treats and you know what is in them.  So thank you for the recipe

Offline Catie74

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »
Brilliant, and if the dogs don't like them, the kids will  :005:

Will be nice to give them a treat that is totally natural

Offline panda66

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
Sounds good, I will try this. Does anyone if eating liver treats encourages the little sweeties to eat their own poo? :P

Offline Honormum

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
This is similar to a recipe we were given at obedience classes.

It was for liver cake - if I remember, our recipe included flour and loads of garlic and blitzing the liver down to a pulp, then baking.

Stinks, but dogs love it and you can freeze it. :D

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:44:01 AM »
I used to do tuna bread, it was my emergency quick fix before training.

Can't remember exactly how to make it as i haven't done it for years, something like, tin of tuna in oil, flour, egg and a bit of garlic, mixed up, onto a plate then microwaved for a few minutes, cooled and cut up.

Not got enough life on my iPad to search for anything but I got the initial recipe off here I think.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 08:54:27 AM »
I make sardine bread.

1 tin sardines in tomato sauce
1 egg, beaten
flour

Mash the sardines up, add the beaten egg and mix. Add enough flour to make a really stiff dough. Spread onto a microwaveable plate (I use one that's about 20cms) and microwave for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool then cut into pieces. I find scissors easier than a knife because the bread is quite rubbery.

Keeps well in the fridge for a few days or can be frozen.

Offline Catie74

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »
If only Archie could have flour, things would be so much easier.  The good thing about this recipe is that it is just pure liver with vegetables.  Just hope Archie ok with Liver, he is trying some of these treats tomorrow.  Fingers crossed

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:03:46 PM »
Sounds really simple, I think I'll give this a go.

It makes loads, will keep for ages, and my 9 month old Ollie loves them.

How do you store it, so that it keeps for ages?  Do you just put it in a sealed bag or plastic (tuperware type) box, or in the fridge, or in the freezer?

Offline sueturnersmith

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:04:31 PM »
The good thing about this recipe is that it doesn't need refrigerating or freezing. It will keep for weeks!

The liver is completely dried in the oven, and only needs keeping in a plastic bag or lock and lock type box. It also smells quite pleasant.

Offline Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »
I just fry the liver, leave to cool, chop up, open freeze and put in a bag. Just take out a few bits before each walk and the're thawed by the time you need them. Easy to handle unlike chicken skin :P

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »
The good thing about this recipe is that it doesn't need refrigerating or freezing. It will keep for weeks!

The liver is completely dried in the oven, and only needs keeping in a plastic bag or lock and lock type box. It also smells quite pleasant.

Thanks - I'm definitely going to give this a try - I'm sure Ozzy will love it!

Offline Catie74

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »
Well, my 3 sampled these today.  I think we can safely say they adored them, and consider their chef Grandma their best friend. Thanks mum.  Even my over fussy non eating Cavalier King Charles was doing cartwheels over them.

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
Thanks for posting your recipe. It sounds great and I'm sure my pup will love. That said he'll eat anything and in copious quantities, too - not remotely a fussy eater.

I'll definitely give it a try - ta :-)

I make sardine bread.

1 tin sardines in tomato sauce
1 egg, beaten
flour

Mash the sardines up, add the beaten egg and mix. Add enough flour to make a really stiff dough. Spread onto a microwaveable plate (I use one that's about 20cms) and microwave for a couple of minutes. Allow to cool then cut into pieces. I find scissors easier than a knife because the bread is quite rubbery.

Keeps well in the fridge for a few days or can be frozen.

Thanks for this one, too. I've often read with curiosity on these boards about various treats such as tuna bread etc and always wondered what was required.

Many thanks for the info :-)

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
I made some liver bread the other day in the Liquidiser, it turned out really well and the dogs love it  :luv:

The downside is cleaning the liquidiser out when you are finished  :020: think your recipe may be better next time  :blink:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011