Author Topic: Clocks going back - do you change feeding times?  (Read 455 times)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Clocks going back - do you change feeding times?
« on: October 27, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »
I remember with our last dog that he got fed once a day, all his adult life, at 5pm. At about 4 he'd start going mad - climbing all over me or my mum - and was very unsettled until he was fed. So of course when the clocks went back he'd be even crazier as 5pm occurred an hour later! Someone once asked me "why didn't you just feed him at 4pm in the winter and 5pm in the summer?" - I guess we never thought of it. It wouldn't have made all that much difference to my mum's lifestyle to feed him at 4 rather than 5 for 6 months!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone changes the feeding time as a result of the clocks going back and forward?

I'm expecting a hungry dog tomorrow morning - he usually gets fed at 8-8.30am, but this will be the equivalent of 9-9.30am for his belly!(Fortunately he's just started lying in until at least 8 though (I woke him up at 8.20 this morning), so if he wakes up at the new 7.15 or 7.30 it's not too early - a few weeks back he would've been up at 6.15 or 6.30!).

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
Re: Clocks going back - do you change feeding times?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »
Nope  ;)  But then I don't feed at the same time every day - might be a bit more of an issue if you do I guess  :-\
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 07:29:35 AM »
Nope - Coco will be fed at normal time.  They will soon adapt to the time change.  Can't believe it though but she didn't wake early this morning so we are just getting up now :clapping:
Julie and Watson

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:37:35 AM »
My dogs gradually get used to the new time, but I'm not strict over timings either. This morning I was up at my usual time, which of course is now one hour earlier, so I just fed the dogs when they started getting restless.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
Lottie normally is awake at 7am, and I get her paw in my eye if I'm not up! :clapdance:

This morning I was awake and "waiting" for the attack   ph34r but she slept till 8 (pre clock change ):dunno:

I feed at 7 in the morning and  about 5 at night, and they normally adapt quite well when the clocks change

Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:03:03 AM »
Nope  ;)  But then I don't feed at the same time every day - might be a bit more of an issue if you do I guess  :-\

Nope me neither....during the week they get fed earlier in the morning as I work compared to weekends and fed later in the evening
They have never been ones to pester for food, so they are quite happy to be fed whenever

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 09:20:14 AM »
Feeding time is varied here anyway, they get fed when we get up which when I'm at work can be as early as 05.30. And they get fed anytime between 18.00 and 19.30 again depending on our work.

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:51:31 AM »
Alfie 'slept in' till after 8 new time this morning. When I'm working on week days he's fed at 7am; weekends between 8 - 9 so he's used to different times too but if he's on the lookout for tea an hour early today (which I suspect he will be) I'll probably feed him slightly earlier and let it adjust itself over the next few days. I think he goes more by our timetable - hear shower-it's breakfast time, if I come home earlier it's immediately tea time!

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
we dont have a set feeding time also so wont make a difference for us. his morning feeds usually same time but he's a lazy cocker & goes out for a wee checks his dinners down before we go to work then eats it later (10ish) after he's been back to sleep for a bit.
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
I usually get up at about 7 and feed Ozzy as soon as he's been out for a wee.  But there was no way i was getting up at 6 this morning, so i stayed in bed until about 6.30 (I thought I'd split the difference!)  He usually gets his lunch around 1pm, and was mithering at 12 today, and I planned to feed  him about 12.30 just for today but he's gone back to sleep now, so he'll get it at 1 as usual.  We always used to feed Cassie half an hour earlier the first day the clocks went back, and half an hour later the first day they went forward.  I always felt mean if I let them go the whole hour - after all they don't know that the clocks have changed!  :luv: