Author Topic: puppy training...to continue or not to continue  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: puppy training...to continue or not to continue
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 03:38:28 AM »
Riding a skateboard is actually useful for dogs learning body awareness and balance (similar to using wobble boards), and valuable for agility training and preparation for the seesaw. Twists and such 'tricks' help with bending and general muscle toning and control. Most help stimulate the dog's brain and can be done indoors when time or weather might not allow for the usual training session outdoors. I'd not be so inclined to dismiss them all.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Riding a skateboard is actually useful for dogs learning body awareness and balance (similar to using wobble boards), and valuable for agility training and preparation for the seesaw. Twists and such 'tricks' help with bending and general muscle toning and control. Most help stimulate the dog's brain and can be done indoors when time or weather might not allow for the usual training session outdoors. I'd not be so inclined to dismiss them all.

Well said!  Although, those sort of tricks are just a dream to me - just getting Ozzy to stop jumping up all the time is my current goal in life  >:D :005:

Offline Honormum

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
I can't see how any learning is wasted on a bright dog. ph34r

It's such a great way for owner and dog to bond - and if it keeps an active dog challenged, even better. :D

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 02:04:05 PM »
I can't see how any learning is wasted on a bright dog. ph34r

It's such a great way for owner and dog to bond - and if it keeps an active dog challenged, even better. :D

Agreed!

We are having a break at the moment, but we carried on after puppy class.
Giving paw is useful for me, I get Bingley to do it so I can check over his feet.

I think it's good to have a set time each week to do it, and have the social aspects of meeting other people who often can provide great advice and support. IMO it's another string to my bow (if that's the right phrase?). In many ways i think it helped us calm Bingley down. Because he interacted with other people and dogs regularly, it wasn't such a novelty after a while. Where we lived before we would very rarely encounter any other walkers or dogs. I don't regret it for a second.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
I think these classes are more about owners rather than pups. If you enjoy them so will your pup , if your bored the pup will pick up on this and you are waisting your time, take the pup for a walk in the woods instead.

They are a good idea for socialization when the pup is young especially if you do not have access to other dogs and any training is good for this breed they need stimulation.

I can see where Jonnytrabent is coming from, as a cocker working game is just about the best thing for owners to see and pure heaven for the dog.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 05:49:15 PM »
 Can also see where he's coming from, however dismissing all exercises unless they're gundog work/ recall related is a bit shortsighted (IMO). Not all cockers are necessarily suited to working game, and similarly their owners may not be keen or suited. So there are other outlets for their need for stimulation and exercise - agility, obedience, tricks, playing ball, tracking, etc. Most border collies don't actually work sheep, yet thousands are kept happy doing a variety of other activities. Cockers are no different. Retrieving dummies as an isolated exercise serves no more real purpose than giving a paw.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie