Author Topic: Archie has bitten me.  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Archie has bitten me.
« on: November 27, 2012, 03:28:55 PM »
I'm so upset. I was reframing a precious picture and it fell on the floor, Acrhie lunged for it and I tried to grab his collar to stop him but he turned and grabbed my finger. It is cut quite badly. I am supposed to be giving a concert on Sunday which now looks in jeopardy. I know he gets aggressive when he has something he shouldn't and I know I shouldn't have grabbed him but I just feel like I live on eggshells quite a lot of the time and I have to let things get destroyed just so we both remain calm and he eventually gives the item up. I have everything precious locked away and my house is just empty. It feels like all the bits and bobs that make it mine are just hidden away. It's sort of stripped of my identity.

Last time I injured my hand when he jumped up at me, my Mum went nuts and said that I have got to rehome him so I just know what kind of argument we are going to have when I tell her.
I seem to go one step forward, two steps back with him and I just don't know how much longer I can cope but the thought of giving up on him is just too dreadful to think about. Is this forever or will this behaviour eventually stop?

Sorry to whine on. Just having a rubbish day and this is kind of the last straw.

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
Re: Archie has bitten me.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
Oh Emma,
what a pickle.
I know how hard you have worked
and are working with Archie and I'm
sorry to read your post :016:
I haven't any advice as I really
don't know which way you would go
with this.
Am sending you this... :-* and this.. :bigarmhug:
and hope the clever CoLers can help.
steffxxx

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
Oh Emma,
what a pickle.
I know how hard you have worked
and are working with Archie and I'm
sorry to read your post :016:
I haven't any advice as I really
don't know which way you would go
with this.
Am sending you this... :-* and this.. :bigarmhug:
and hope the clever CoLers can help.
steffxxx

Well said Ms Steff.

Emma, you have worked so hard and done so much with Archie. I remember your old posts from a while ago, you have had such a challenging time.

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

I don't have the answers I'm afraid, but you have been amazing for Archie throughout all of this. I think many would have given up way before now.

Take a deep breathe, have a glass of wine (or sloe gin!). We're all here for you. I hope someone will be along with more practical advice.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »
No answers but just want to give you lots of :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:25 PM »
Oh Archie!  I always enjoy reading your posts about Archie as you have made such good progress with him and coped so well with all his problems and through it all you have kept a sense of humour about everything.  I am sorry you have had such a worrying incident today and can understand how upsetting it must be when you have done so much to make life workable with Archie and also enjoyable and fulfilling for him, as I'm sure it is.  I can also understand your mum's reaction as she doesn't have the same bond with Archie that you do and is just looking out for you.

Honestly, I think Archie will always have his "little foibles" but looking back at your posts since he was a puppy, you have brought him on so far that I am sure his behaviour will continue to improve over time.

I hope your finger heals quickly and in time for your concert.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: So sorry Archie has bitten you  :'(. No advice, just my total understanding. I know exactly how you feel.
I hope you finger gets better soon, and yu find it in your heart to forgive your little rogue  :luv:

Offline fenby

• Donator
  • Harvey
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
Sorry to hear that Archie has bitten you. You have been marvellous with him and so patient. Hope your finger heals quickly and that someone knowledgable will give you some advice. Sending you lots of  :bigarmhug:

Offline Rebecca23

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »
" I know he gets aggressive when he has something he shouldn't and I know I shouldn't have grabbed him but I just feel like I live on eggshells quite a lot of the time and I have to let things get destroyed just so we both remain calm and he eventually gives the item up. I have everything precious locked away and my house is just empty. It feels like all the bits and bobs that make it mine are just hidden away. It's sort of stripped of my identity."

I haven't read any of you past posts, nor know Archie's background but surely your relationship should be beneficial to both of you and from the above it seems it really isn't for you? Maybe there is a time when you need to reassess. I know is easy for me to say but there's no way I'd continue in your position, not living on eggshells with an animal that may bite if you take something off of him. It sounds like rather than him face his demons about his possessiveness you have just removed all temptation? Not that I'm suggesting that's wrong, I'm no expert and I don't pretend to be at all but wanted to send some hugs and maybe a view different from others? Best if luck in whatever you decide but also remember that you need to think of yourself too not just Archie x
Becca x

Busy mum to two little boys & hoping to bring home a fluffy four legged cocker baby girl next year :)

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
 :bigarmhug: I'm really sorry you've had a bad day made worse by Archie biting you. It's clear from your previous posts how much you love him and how much time and effort you've spent on him. It must be SOOOOO disappointing when something like this happens. Hope your finger heals quickly and you are able to perform at your concert. I've no advice to give {don't even get my pup till December} but just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.  :bigarmhug:

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »
Firstly big hugs as you have obviously had a right crappy day.

I am sorry I have not read all of your posts about Archie but I think its time you had some help from a professional who has experience sorting dogs with aggressive guarding behavior.

We all have to make allowances when we have a puppy come in to our lives its their nature to be a pain in the rear at times but I agree with Becca's post you can not go on like this, having a dog in your home should be a pleasure not a walking on eggshells experience.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Cassie01

• Theis 08.04.2012-11.12.2012
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »
How unpleasant and worrying for you.

No advise but my thoughts are with you.

(((hugs)))

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
I agree with Becca and JeffD - I think it's time for a behaviourist.

You can get all the well meaning advice in the world from the forum but we can't see what is happening and there are only a few qualified behaviourists on the board anyway.  Please seek some help, it sounds like you're trying to avoid situations rather than manage them and that you are scared of Archie (which is very sad  :'( )
helen & jarvis x

Offline Bibby

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
Hi Emma

No real advice for you I'm afraid, just some sympathy and understanding in your very difficult situation. You are obviously a very devoted Mummy and have clearly gained the respect of lots of people on here with all of the hard work and dedication you have already devoted to Archie. Maybe it's time to accept some help and support from a behaviourist as the others have said? At least if you do this you will know you have left absolutely no stone unturned x
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:28 PM »
I agree with Becca and JeffD - I think it's time for a behaviourist.

You can get all the well meaning advice in the world from the forum but we can't see what is happening and there are only a few qualified behaviourists on the board anyway.  Please seek some help, it sounds like you're trying to avoid situations rather than manage them and that you are scared of Archie (which is very sad  :'( )

I agree too, I think you really need to get a qualified person in to help you deal with these issues. Much as we all adore our dogs and they all have their foibles they are meant to enhance your life not make it difficult. You're obviously incredibly dedicated to Archie and he's very lucky to have such an understanding owner, but I know I couldn't live the way you've described having to keep all your things locked away and treading on eggshells in fear of being bitten, I don't think it's fair to either of you :bigarmhug:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline LilahLoo

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 06:12:06 PM »
What a horrible situation to find yourself in.

It does sound like you've done as much as you can on your own and need to call in some help from an expert.

Good luck - I'm sure this isn't insurmountable with the right help.