Author Topic: Grooming for show  (Read 886 times)

Offline spaniels ears

Grooming for show
« on: August 12, 2015, 09:00:36 AM »
Hi all, I am new to the showing world and am struggling with what I should be doing with my boys throat and also the trimming of the featherings on the back legs, really hoping someone could explain to me what I should be doing and possibly post some photo's or point me in the right direction of where i can find this out, I usually clip his throat on a longer blade as he is a blue roan but then get a bit stuck with the blending from clipped to not clipped, should I be hand stripping this part or thinning and how far should I take it?
With the back featherings I get really confused when trimming the part near the top of the foot, how far in shoulf I be taking it here?
Hope this all makes sense and someone can help!!  :D

Offline lescef

Re: Grooming for show
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »
Hi. I don't show my dogs so can't advise but (hope it's ok to post this) look at ****** site and in the advice menu you will find a lot of info about grooming. I'm sure others will offer help too.

Mod note: please send the link privately by PM if you could as this is a breeders' website, thanks
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »
Have you looked on the Grooming board?  There is lots of advice on there  :D
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?board=9.0
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »
You will get different opinions on this subject ;) I personally don't like the clippered throat look on a particolour (especially a lighter roan) but these days, so many exhibitors seem to be doing it that those who prefer the traditional way of trimming are in the minority it seems :lol2: If you are clipping the throat, make sure you don't do it too soon before the show so it has chance for the hair to grow a little and look more natural & either blend in lightly with your thinners or hand strip if you can

Re back leg feathering, have a look at photos of successful show Cockers (Cocker Club yearbooks are ideal for this or breeder websites) & you will get a feel of what is needed. Some exhibitors do leave far too much hair hanging down which disguises the hind angulation (personal opinion again) so I aim to taper the hair to follow the line of the stifle (I use thinners not straight edge scissors for this as I don't like hard lines) - I don't take the hair in too tight to the foot as this can look a bit odd. It's really difficult to explain though- really you need to watch someone doing a practical demonstration (perhaps you can ask your breeder or a show friend to show you?) Or perhaps you could post a photo of your dog and we'll be able to point out where or if you need to take more hair off  :blink:
Jane

Offline spaniels ears

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 12:54:53 PM »
Hi, hopefully this is my boy standing,(if I have uploaded it right)  i'm not sure if the back featherings need to go higher than they are or not? will take a photo of his throat as this bit is a mess at the moment so perfect time to get your advice on which bits to handstrip and which bits to thin!

Offline spaniels ears

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »
This is the dreaded throat/chest that drives me mad, (this hasn't been touched for a month) my problem is how far down should I be stripping? I know to blend the neck in where I have clipped but its the part above the front of his legs and up towards the breast bone that I'm unsure what to do with, I see others at shows and this part seems really short but doesn't look clipped/thinned, should this bit strip short? it seems to be really long on my boy, same with the back of his neck which is really long and looks scruffy when he has his show lead on, do I need to just persevere with hand stripping it or am I going wrong somewhere?

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:19:12 PM »
I would use thinners to trim that longer wispy hair that goes down to the breastbone (you want it quite short down to the breastbone ideally) & would have a go at hand stripping (finger and thumb) the excess hair at the top of the legs there - it looks like it would come out quite easily if you just take it slowly, a bit at a time.  From the photo, his stifle feathering looks ok -I would perhaps take it in a little shorter towards his foot, just to show off the angulation a little better (not too much though, maybe half an inch to start with). It is much easier if someone can show you in person - whereabouts are you based, maybe there is someone not to far away who could help?
Jane