Author Topic: Cockers and Cats  (Read 2174 times)

Offline PennyB

Re: Cockers and Cats
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 12:00:01 PM »
Cockers easy??  :rofl1: :rofl1: I think quite a few people have fallen for those cute and cuddly looks.  Cockers are definitely not an easy breed - they are far too clever for one thing and always have their own agenda, which rarely bears any relation to their owner's!  :lol2:

I have always had cats long before I got Coco so it was essential that they learn to live together.  However, I had not reckoned with Coco's wish to chase/bother them  >:(

The secret is that the cat must ALWAYS have a safe, dog free place to go and a clear escape route.  You can use baby gates, put the cat's bed and food up high or just restrict the time they spend in the same room.  Mine will sit on the worktop and sneer at her from above  :005:

Coco is nearly 10 now and she will still harass some of my cats given half a chance.  The cats that don't run are not interesting to her so she never bothers them.  I make sure that she doesn't get the chance to chase the others as, if she does it, it becomes self rewarding behaviour.  :-\  I have a couple of areas in the garden that Coco can't get into and she doesn't always have free run of the house either, and she is not allowed upstairs.  The cats know where they can go to get away from her and life is consequently pretty harmonious.

Have you tried rewarding her for ignoring the cats, perhaps using a long line?  Keeping them separate is the key at least to start with, then supervision and rewarding good behaviour - eventually you will get to a situation that works for you all, but it might take a while and require a fair amount of effort on your part  ;)

Good luck  ;)

Great comments & advice + I am in similar position - some of my cats will be chased but not always. My cat safe haven is upstairs but since the arrival of Lady (oldie working cocker) she has managed to find a way up there but in her case its because she knows their food is upstairs too so every time I go out she's like a little ninja and finds her way up the stairs (she now can't get to the cat food but she lives in hope) and thankfully she ignores the cats anyway

It does sound like your cat isn't too unhappy or he'd leave

I have a cat who if he gets too stressed he becomes ill (extremely on occasion) so while he's fine with my lot even if they chase him, if another dog chases him in his house it does stress him so I avoid those dogs coming in the house now
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
Major breakthrough in his house last night - the stop whistle worked  :banana: :clapping:

I'm not sure who was most shocked, me, Coral or the cat!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 04:23:17 PM »
Major breakthrough in his house last night - the stop whistle worked  :banana: :clapping:

I'm not sure who was most shocked, me, Coral or the cat!

:clapping: :clapping: Well done Coral!

Offline frater5

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »
Hi

Well we are still trying , with little success I must add .

We have dog free areas and that is where the cat stays , he is an indoor cat having never shown any interest in going out and now at 5 yrs old I wouldnt be happy him going out now . To be honest he really is a stupid cat , bless him .

I will keep going in the hope that maybe a miracle will happen but am also keeping an ear out for anyone who would adopt the cat . I will only rehome him with someone known to me and also on the condition that if for any reason it didnt work out that he came back to us , poor thing he really is lovely and stupid and deserves some where that he will be able to relax .

Our monster is looking at me with angelic eyes .

Thank you for all you replies and here is hoping for a break through