Author Topic: Anal Gland Removal?  (Read 770 times)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Anal Gland Removal?
« on: July 28, 2015, 06:39:03 PM »
Been back to the vets this afternoon for Jinleys check up (she had started to look uncomfortable) and after only being off human anti-biotics for less than 3 weeks, an infections has started again.

Back on an extended term of antibiotics with a decision in a couple of weeks about removing her anal glands.  Anybody else had to have this done?

The vet said that whilst a difficult operation, the outcome is very successful.

How long were your dogs incapacitated for following the op?

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Anal Gland Removal?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 07:37:51 PM »
Been back to the vets this afternoon for Jinleys check up (she had started to look uncomfortable) and after only being off human anti-biotics for less than 3 weeks, an infections has started again.

Back on an extended term of antibiotics with a decision in a couple of weeks about removing her anal glands.  Anybody else had to have this done?

The vet said that whilst a difficult operation, the outcome is very successful.

How long were your dogs incapacitated for following the op?

Really sorry Jinley is suffering Pat  :'(. Pearl has this done 18 months ago - I put a thread on here about her experience post procedure.  She was "out of it" for a full day but brightened the following day and did the very cold walk at Stiperstones on the weekend after the procedure  ;) I'm sure you'll remember her bottom looking like a baboon  :005: as I remember it, it didn't stop her jumping through the heather.....the benefits have far out weighed the 2-3 days of discomfort she had at the time, to be honest, she has never been so healthy as the last 18 months  :D

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »
Can't help with the questions, but wishing you both all the best  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 09:02:37 PM »
sending Jinley and you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
a baboon bum is a small price to pay if it sorts out the problems
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Redked

• Donator
  • Beautiful Bonnie Boo (formerly The Destroyer)
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:33:34 PM »
Poor Jinley. I'm sure you will make the right choice for her Pat and our furry ones seem to get over surgery far quicker than we do (as Jayne says with Pearl) if it does come to that.

I think we will maybe have to decide the same for Bonnie in the future as her anal glands are now a recurring problem again.  It must be something with the breed as I'd never heard of anal gland issues when we had our old dogs. Hope Jinley feels better soon  :luv: :luv:

Offline dawn

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:52:12 PM »
 A difficult choice to put them thru surgery, but Pearls story is encouraging.....good luck whatever you decide.  :bigarmhug:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
Brodie had a speedy recovery from her op - there's been that many appointments and procedures over the last few months that it's all got a little blurry, but I think she was back to her normal self within the week.

Sadly, there was some small after effects. She had some difficulty with control when it came to pooing, and wasn't always aware when she was doing it. Only tiny bits and mostly outside; there was a couple of incidents in the house, but thankfully she remained unaware. I was reassured by her oncologist that it would sort itself out, and I'm pleased to say it has.

She still can find it a little uncomfortable to poo, but I think that's due to the radiotherapy, not the op.

Oh, and she has a lot more wind ph34r.

So it was a very uncomfortable operation for her, but she really bounced back very quickly, apart from the little problems mentioned above.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »
Always a worry Pat with the prospect of surgery for our cockers and I know you will make the right decision for Jinley. At least you have the close by experience of Jayne and Pearl to hopefully reassure you and ease your mind if the op becomes necessary.

M. xx