Author Topic: Puppy V's Cat  (Read 2114 times)

Offline Scott_Manley

Puppy V's Cat
« on: July 29, 2015, 09:49:17 AM »
Hi everyone.

Our WCS Pup is coming home this Saturday and I'm already worried about our house cat Hugo..  We've never had a puppy before so all your advise is welcome, whats the best way to introduce them to each other?? Hugo is normally friendly to a point but I don't think hes ever seen a dog before..??
'A Devil in a cute costume'

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
Re: Puppy V's Cat
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:45:40 PM »
Hi there, I would say be careful!  It is more likely the cat will swipe the puppy than the puppy hurting the cat!
Also, make sure there is a safe place (maybe using a stair gate) for the cat to escape to.  Ours used to go upstairs to get away from the puppy but were friends eventually!
Good luck and lots of photos please.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
They tend to find a modus vivendi but a baby gate can really help with teething troubles.

[Apologies to any classicists for rusty latin  ph34r]

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:15 AM »
Hi
Thanks for the advise, I've brought a stair gate so the cat can get away but I thought about putting the pup (still no name) in his crate and see what the cat does?? Let the cat have a sniff about etc
Pictures to follow on Saturday  ;)

Offline Smckenry

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:51:40 AM »
I'm another vote for a stair gate! We have one with a cat flap, which pup can still get through but it lockable. Everytually we won't be licking and unlocking all the time, but if cat is really in a bother, he squeezes through the bars.

All the advise we got and found was essentially- leave hem to it. And this is what has been working for us so far. Cat come down when he wants, and we use it as an opportunity to practice puppy's sit and stay. Pup really wanted to play with cat at first, and had one or two swipes from cat with no damage, just upset that there would be no play :-)

Don't leave them alone together, but mostly they will work out a relationship between them. Although be prepared it may take a long time for cat to tolerate pup (at least a year?!). My vet is convinced I'll one day find them cuddled up together....

Offline Smckenry

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:54:49 AM »
Yep get the crate now before you bring pup home so cat can get used to it in the room. There have been some moments when puppy was sleeping in the crate and cat came over for a sniff and a nose around. I would personally think that being in the crate would make pup more excited about getting out to play with the cat, and in tune teach the cat that the puppy is loud and bouncy and annoying :-)
Play it by ear and see what happens, you'll quickly get an idea of what your cat thinks. even if cat just tolerates pup, you have a good outcome so far :-)

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »
The problem is the puppies a surprise for the family my 2 daughters 12-13 have no idea hes coming, they've been asking for a dog for years and I've always said no so this Saturday I'm going to knock on our front door with him and my kids are going to go crazy! I've got puppy stuff hidden everywhere including the create so its not possible to have the create out for the cat to sniff and get used to the whole idea!!
Wish me luck  ;)

Offline Smckenry

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 05:07:25 PM »
oh how exciting!!! Good Luck!! would be great if you can get someone to film it- I've seen loads of clips like that on youtube and you can't help but slime when you watch them.

Don't forget to come back when pup is asleep and post us lots of pics!!

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
I've been setting up the surprise for weeks, the Gopro will be on hand to record the revel...  Hope it all works out

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 07:49:25 AM »
How did the surprise go? I can still vividly remember my parents surprising me with my first dog - I was 13.
I came home from school and my mum said dad wanted to speak to me and he was in the dining room.  I was really worried as he was never usually home at that time and thought I had done something awful!!
I went into the dining room worried sick and there was my dad, sitting on the floor with a cardboard box. 
The box contained an Airedale puppy we eventually named Misty.

She was my first dog and totally adorable. I am sure your girls will remember their introduction to their first dog forever too!!!
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
UPDATE:-
It went brilliantly..surprise video below:-
https://youtu.be/j1Q175QOJHQ

Puppy Vs Cat, Hugo (Cat) is fascinated by the Alfie we've never seen him so much, despite being a house cat he would normally just go upstairs and go to sleep most of the day but hes spending a lot more time with us watching the puppy (normally from the safety of the side).

Hugo from his viewing post

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:15:34 AM »
Aww. that is brilliant, watery eyes here ph34r Alfie is adorable  :luv: :luv: and your daughter is so lucky :shades: Welcome to COL Alfie, I look forward to hearing about your future antics ;)
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 09:51:07 AM »
Think it is safe to say the puppy was a hit, lovely. Hope you all have many happy years together
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
Lovely!! :luv: :luv:

Can I just say that your house will NEVER look that tidy and clean again  :005: :005:

Clothes will be ripped, you will have scratches and bites all over your arms / legs and no make up will ever be worn again.  It will take all of your time to put a brush through your hair.  Winter boots will become an obsession along with winter coats for you and your puppy.  When at the supermarket you will spend most of your time browsing the dog toy / treats aisle and you will soon have a lovely variety of collars and leads for walking / best / special occasions.  The next dilemma?  Which food to feed?  What should his poos look like?

Obsessed?  Yes we all are .... welcome to the world of owning a cocker!!

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
HI everyone,

Thanks for the nice words, I'm so glad we got him, talk about a funny little chap, He makes me smile so much my face hurts!! :luv:

One question, night time...  At the moment, hes off to bed about 10:30-11ish in his create, we've been getting up to let him out 1:30 & 4am, then getting up at 6 our normal time,  We haven't had any mess in the create but how long should we keep that up until be stretch it out a bit?? Don't get me wrong myself and wife don't mind getting up to him but just wondered really??