Author Topic: Fussy eater  (Read 2478 times)

Offline spaniels ears

Fussy eater
« on: July 12, 2015, 08:34:47 PM »
My 11 month boy has always been a fussy eater, I have tried many different brands and he finally settled on natures harvest mixed with royal canin kibble and was doing well on it but has now gone back to his old tricks of sniffing his bowl and walking away, he will go for days not touching his food and I'm lost as to what to do, the only treats he gets through the day is a dental chew as I thought he might of been holding out for his treats but stopping his treats has made no difference, I have also tried feeding him at different times, in a different bowl and in a different room but am now really out of ideas for getting him to want to eat, any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Fussy eater
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »
Not sure what to suggest really, Branston is on Royal Canin Junior Medium with a portion Forthglade Lamb menu (not the lifestage adult one, which he found too rich -  but the Menu which is suitable for dogs from 3 months) and so far seems to be doing well on it.

It's rather odd really, as a personal preference I would normally feed wet hypoallergenic food, but Branston came on the Royal Canin and has done well on it, and had none of the problems that Minstrel did, before I changed him to a wet food, so although I would prefer him to be on a wet food, the old adage 'if it ain't broke, leave well alone' seems to apply here.

I think some dogs do seem to be a little fussy (have read before on the forum where they suddenly go off their food) have you checked that there is no medical reason, toothache for example, and also the hot weather lately may be something to do it?

Hope you find the solution soon.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »
I have the fussiest dog ever...feeding is done on a plate or a low sided pasta bowl. I have to be present when he eats, it's easier if he eats in 'his spot' in the living room. He's always had issues with food, he's getting better with age though (slightly).

The food that has worked best for us is raw (I'm not saying to switch, but in my experience it's helped). Even on raw, he won't have bones (he gets crushed ones in his food, but he won't eat them himself), but I've got him a 'menu' - just to make sure he doesn't get the same meal twice in a row...I think for him, the variation has worked and kept him eating the same thing (he's been raw fed for 3 years).

He'd been doing really well with his eating lately, however, we've just been on holiday and he regressed whilst we were away - if he's not familiar with a place he gets a bit nervous around food. But since we've been back home he's back to his normal self. 

He's so not food orientated at all, he'd much rather have kisses than treats. It's just who he is, we've just learnt to read him like a book when it comes to food.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Mum2Riley

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:32:41 PM »
I could write your post myself - my Riley is 2 and a horrendously fussy eater!  I keep him on working dog food (he's on Burns Active at the moment) as it's higher calorie and better if they don't eat a great deal.  He will always happily eat cooked chicken, and for some insane reason he loves cottage cheese (full fat) that I add, or scrambled egg.  He doesn't eat any treats, just sniffs and walks away!  He does like dried fish skins but he's also prone to colitis so I'm very very careful what he has.  You have my sympathy, it's not easy having a fussy one and as my other dog is a lab, it's been a real shock having a cocker spaniel!