Author Topic: Chicken/Fish/Rice Advice Needed ASAP  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Smckenry

Chicken/Fish/Rice Advice Needed ASAP
« on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
Hi All,

Have looked around online and found conflicting advice (surprise!).

Puppy is poorly and I need her to eat- last night I figured out she will wolf down some plain baked cod. I would like to give her some rice also though- but I don't know how much I should be giving her or if regular white rice is ok?

She's about 7.6kg and 'should' be having 280g of JamesWellbeloved per day. I don't mind if she's not eating lots, I just want her to eat enough to keep her from feeling really REALLY unwell. I don't want to over do it on the rice either.

Offline Millipede

Re: Chicken/Fish/Rice Advice Needed ASAP
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »
Regular white rice ok. Just give her a small portion of rice / fish (handful) and see if she is hungry and how it affects her system. If you can find some I also give my dog wen poorly (presuming tummy upset) Libbys tinned pumpkin, seems to help 'bind'. Hope puppy is better soon.

Offline Smckenry

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »
Thank you Millipede! Pup has already got something from the vet to help 'bind'  :005:

Its horrible colour and looks like wet cement but if it makes her feel better....

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »
If the wet cement is in a syringe, I'm guessing it is Prokolin, usually good stuff for poorly tums as well as binding, it replaces good gut flora which helps a poorly tummy settle.

Have a read of it here - I always keep a syringe in the cupboard for them. It can be applied either direct to mouth...or if you/pup finds that  stressful, I add mine to their food and just mix it all in, taste of cod should mask taste of prokolin. You can also buy bags of frozen fish fillets from Asda (and elsewhere) I keep some in the freezer. Something else you could try is boiled rice and scrambled egg (no butter or milk added) feeding little and often seems to be a good rule for  puppy poorly  tums.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplements-cat-supplements-dog-diarrhoea-cat-diarrhoea-c-5_145/protexin-prokolin-antidiarrhoeal-probiotic-paste-p-249 (& it's usually cheaper online than your vets  ;) )

Hope this helps and puppy is feeling better soon.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:50:42 AM »
Yes, ordinary boiled rice - don't rinse the starch out, it will help to firm things up.  I usually do about one third rice to two thirds plain boiled fish or chicken.  ;)

A few days on that usually does the trick.
Julie and Watson

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 07:08:51 PM »
Just make sure it is white fish like cod haddock, or it is chicken breast meat.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:09:34 PM »
We keep a tin or two of Chappie Chicken & Rice as a standby for any tummy upsets.

Wouldn't feed it on a regular basis but it does seem to settle tummy problems.

Bob.

Offline Mum2Riley

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
Rice is a godsend for helping cure upset tummies - mine gets colitis, and this is the best cure by far.  I always use white basmati, rinse and let cool then add a very small amount of natural goats milk yogurt for good bacteria, and a small bit of cooked chicken - but around 80% rice.  Usually one or two days is fine on this, and two small meals a day.  ProKolin is also a lifesaver, I get it from VioVet or Amazon as much cheaper online than from the vets.