Author Topic: Which food best for stopping cat poo eating?  (Read 784 times)

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
Which food best for stopping cat poo eating?
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
Does anyone have suggestions as to which dog food to try which has the minerals that may stop my 10 month old jumping chicken wire to get to cat poo from next doors' 4 cats?  It's driving us insane.  He's always at us for our food even though he's eating 2 meals a day on Salters.  He has a lot of attention and 2 walks a day so shouldn't be bored! 
He is one attention seeking pup. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Which food best for stopping cat poo eating?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »
No idea about the cat poo eating prevention, but if he is always wanting your food-how about using either a crate or babygate when you are eating, to get him into the habit of letting you eat in peace. I did this with my two, you have to be really firm, but it does pay dividends in that you can eat what you like and when without the nuisance of a dog trying to help themselves.

Not heard of Salters, so can't advise there
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:45:41 PM »
Thanks for your advice.  We have been crating him when preparing/eating meals but just for a couple of minutes.  Salters had been recommended by the dog trainer but now wondering if it's time for a change...

Offline dawn

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »

there are websites ,e.g. allaboutdogfood.co.uk, or whichdogfood.co.uk, which might help you choose a new food, or just check how good salters is ......

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 07:31:54 AM »
I have 2 cats and 2 cockers so at least I'm mostly in comtrol of what they all eat....

I asked my Vet about Pearl eating the cats poo and if I could do anything about it.  They fell about laughing  ph34r and said that cat poo to dogs is like caviar to humans and has nothing to do with diet!

There is a product you can buy to sprinkle on the cats food that makes their output unpalatable to dogs and to be fair it did seem to work for a while, but that's only useful if they are your own cats. 

Pearl seems less motivated to find any now she is 4 but Coral zooms around the garden looking in the "usual" places (6 months old) I'm hoping she will grow out of eating it as well.

Offline pinkmarshmallow

• Benji and Snoopy!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:09:42 AM »
Thanks for replies.  Will compare my present dog food on those websites and also look into different products to sprinkle across area of dog caviar >:(
He's in his crate at moment whilst I'm eating breakfast ( 3rd attempt) >:D