Author Topic: Big Ears  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Scott_Manley

Big Ears
« on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »
HI
I've had Alfie for almost 2 weeks now (9 weeks old) and I noticed yesterday that he has a small amount of black wax in his ears. Is this normal and what should I do about it?  Its not right in the ear hole but on the entrance???  Sorry new dog owner  ;)
'A Devil in a cute costume'

Offline lescef

Re: Big Ears
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:49:25 PM »
It might be worth a trip to the vet. Does the ear smell very fusty? Is he treated with Advocate or similar? If he isn't it could be ear mites. Ears can be such a nuisance so worth checking out!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »
Hi
Thanks for he reply, he had his first injection last Saturday and the vet looked in his ears but didn't say anything was wrong. He's had Flea treatment but that was frontline??  I wondered if I could just clean it with something??  cotton wool and warm water?? I don't want to upset him if its normal?

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:52:28 PM »
Ear hygiene is very important with cockers so it's best to start when they're young  ;)  Take it nice and gentle and he'll soon start to look forward to having his ears scratched while you're checking them out.

Our two get their ears checked and sniffed daily  :005: and, while a slightly warm waxy smell is perfectly ok, any disagreeable smells should be investigated.

Try to keep the hair at the entrance to the ear short by gentle clipping with a scissors. This allows any excess wax to escape naturally and helps to prevent grass seeds and other foreign objects lodging close the the ear canal.

While there are commercial products available to assist with cleaning the ears, a small cotton swab dipped in warm water is perfectly suitable for cleaning a puppy's ears.
Ear problems can be very distressing to cockers and also quite expensive to cure once developed so a check of their ears daily and especially after walks can make life so much easier for you both.

Bob.

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies, next time he's a bit chilled I'll try cleaning them, wish me luck!

Offline Scott_Manley

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
Little update:-  He loved his ears being cleaned, I thought it would be like a wrestling land shark but no stood there and let me do it!!!