Author Topic: Working or Show Advice  (Read 6680 times)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Working or Show Advice
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »
a little stunning worker to show off  ;)

a pink belly for raspberry blowing   :009:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 05:32:16 PM »
This is my Stevie  :luv:  She is very similar to your pup.
She is 100% worker.  She is now 8 years old and one of the best girls ever.  Very biddable, kind and a joy to live with.  I hope you have as much enjoyment from your girl as I have had from my two  :luv: :luv:

She was very sleepy in the first photo  ;) :005:

And at 6 years old  :luv:

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 05:58:46 PM »
Incidentally there are breeders crossing working and show - what's called dual purpose- so you could get the best of both worlds.

Personally I don't think you should be crossing the lines.  I can't think what a show type could bring to the working line or vice versa  :huh: :huh:   And as to the best of both worlds  :huh:  with luck you could do but you could end up with the worst of both types.  Sorry for being blunt but serious reputable breeders wouldn't mix the lines. 
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline daw

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »
Mmm...I'm not sure there is a worst of both types. There is one huge advantage and that is a wider range of mates- hence genetic diversity- hence lower CoI - hence health, happiness and longer life. But of course many breeders may be in denial about these. :-\ A pity because the majority of spaniels live in pet homes.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 09:17:31 PM »
No decent breeder is crossing the lines Daw - the mix is no good for working or showing so if people do its merely for the pet market.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
No decent breeder is crossing the lines Daw - the mix is no good for working or showing so if people do its merely for the pet market.

I would guess that 90% or more of cocker owners neither show or work their dogs.

Though I completely understand why people would be against the idea of mixing the lines, there is nothing to say that a worker/show cross won't make a fantastic pet for the average owner.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2016, 01:12:27 PM »
and there is a worst of both lines as well as you can get health problems you don't want or need for your dog - don't be fooled into thinking because a dog is a cross they won't have health problems as you don't know where the genes will fall as it doesn't necessarily mean they will be diluted (I have a sprocker from working lines on both sides who has had to have a cataract op age 2y old)

also some may think they are getting a show type then end up with a working dog with high prey/scent/working drive and can't cope or have the time to train

and at the end of the day a crossbreed is a crossbreed
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 03:20:49 PM »
Here is a show Cocker as a puppy:

and at 2-years he looks like this:

You can see how the ears seem to be fixed lower down. Actually its the skull which gradually domes up.

Offline MooreMadness

• Donator
  • Simon and Wendy
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 04:09:42 PM »
Heres Bonnie as a Pup and Fully Grown.

Bonnie as you can see goes more toward the working side,though  Her Sire is a Stud Show Cocker.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 04:26:09 PM »
Bonnie's beautiful!

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »
Incidentally there are breeders crossing working and show - what's called dual purpose- so you could get the best of both worlds.

Personally I don't think you should be crossing the lines.  I can't think what a show type could bring to the working line or vice versa  :huh: :huh:   And as to the best of both worlds  :huh:  with luck you could do but you could end up with the worst of both types.  Sorry for being blunt but serious reputable breeders wouldn't mix the lines.
I agree the pure  show strain is getting very hard to get these days as a lot of breeders breed for colour and often use worker or part workers and its a shame
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline AlanT

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »
I think we nailed it here. They are quite hard to tell apart when puppies.
But after about 18 months the show face appears.

You can work a show dog. Mine can blind-retrieve by scent, follow a whistle and loves agility.
But his legs are heavy and he's not quick.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »
[
But his legs are heavy and he's not quick.
[/quote]

Story of my life!!  :005: :005: