Author Topic: Sore and irritated paws after walk  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Murphys Law

Sore and irritated paws after walk
« on: February 09, 2016, 11:26:14 AM »
Yesterday I took my terrible twosome somewhere different for a walk. It is a huge field which is owned by a rugby club with several rugby pitches. It was very boggy, but spaniels being spaniels, they loved it. At one end was a lot of ferns which led to a stream which they had a good run through.

When we got home, Millie went on what can only be described as the zoomies on steroids. She would fly from chair to chair, thrash around and then off again. She then started chewing frantically at her paws and wouldn't stop. This went on all night, despite us showering her paws down several times. Murphy, who went in the exact same places, was totally unaffected.

This area isn't used for dog walking and I at a loss to explain her discomfort.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Sore and irritated paws after walk
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:19 AM »
Could she have run through some nettles? What you've described sounds like nettle stings, so perhaps she ran through some and Murphy didn't.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:41 AM »
Could she have run through some nettles? What you've described sounds like nettle stings, so perhaps she ran through some and Murphy didn't.

I immediately thought the same - young nettles really give a nasty sting and with no frost to "deaden" the hairs on the leaves my two are suffering. Piriton and coconut oil seem to help.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »
I didn't think about nettles, that might be it. Because it is a field not used for dog walking I was concerned that there might be some nasty chemicals put down but nettles make more sense. I didn't realise that they could cause a dogs paws so much discomfort, especially with their pads being so tough.

Thanks.

Offline AlanT

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:47:12 PM »
We go in rivers and streams quite a lot. There is often some paw licking afterwards.

It seems that if he is not dry, warm and comfortable the paws will get attention.

Now I get a cosy bed up next to a radiator. This dries him out quickly and the paws get left alone.

They don't always know their exact problem.

Offline lescef

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 07:16:20 PM »
I won't be going there then! Is she better today, bless her?
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
She's fine today thanks after a restless night.

I won't be going there again either. Mainly because there is what I would describe as a 30 foot almost sheer drop to the stream in places at the back if the field.