Author Topic: Acting like a looney in the garden  (Read 2430 times)

Offline James+Carly

Acting like a looney in the garden
« on: February 07, 2016, 10:45:05 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for everyones advice so far, my partner and myself had a tough week with little Oscar this week. He is now 17 weeks old and becoming ever so mischievous!

We take him out for 2 twenty minute walks everyday, but I'm not sure if this is enough as he has so much energy! First thing in the morning i take  him to the garden to go to the toilet and then we get ready for a walk (which takes about 10 mins before we are out of the house, due to him biting and dragging his lead, or my socks, or my slipper, the list goes on)! He pulls quite a lot, we are tying the treat above his head whilst walking and he does this well, until there is another dog or person or loud car, bus, or anything with a smell that he seems to be attracted to! He seems to have a very short attention span. We take him to puppy class and the trainer says he is doing well, we just need to keep his attention, but how do we do this??!!

He also does not go to the toilet on a walk, despite using our phrase and taking him to grassy patches - if we do not take him to the toilet before we go for a walk, by the end he gets himself so worked up, barking and whimpering, its quite frustrating - any suggestions?

Also - once we have got back from our walks (and he has had a toilet before hand) he bundles back into the house, i take him to the garden and at 7am in the morning, he runs around the garden barking his head off, digging up the garden, biting the wooden fence panels like a little maniac! He won't come back in the house when i call him, he doesn't listen to anything i say - is this normal? It has become very frustrating this last week - any advice would be great!

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: Acting like a looney in the garden
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:56:52 AM »
Welcome to the world of a cocker spaniel! It all sounds perfectly normal to me. Dexter done the same and still does dependant on his mood each day, he is now 9 months old. It does get better and keep on with the training as the more effort you put in now the better Oscar will be in the long run. We have had all the problems you have said and I know how frustrated you can get, but it is all part of growing up to him and he is trying to see what he can get away with. As for the recall, well sometimes they just will not listen and with Dexter if he gets a whiff of something nice then I have no chance of getting him back straight away.

It does get better I am told, as Dexter is my first spaniel but I have had many other dogs. This forum is a great source of help and tips and I am sure others will comment on what to do for the best.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 11:27:50 AM »
Yes, as Mark,s said, you're now in the wonderful world of cockers! Mine is also 9 months and I'm fast realizing they are very "special"  :005: :005: i.e. not quite like my previous non-cockers!!!
Attention span is something I'm also trying to cope with at the moment, I use lots of good tasting treats and try to keep as much enthusiasm in my voice as possible to keep him interested, although have to admit when the nose is down on the ground, its can be challenging!  Recall needs to be practised and practised and I still treat nearly every time for a quick return, even when I call him in from the garden. Also, doing some things with him that stimulate him mentally will also help with the concentration and will also tire him out. Hiding toys or treats in the house or the garden and letting him find them is a great exercise. I hide bit of kibble under plastic beakers etc.
I know it can be frustrating, but try and stay calm and be as consistant as you can. It does get better (or so they tell me!! :005:)

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:02:30 PM »
The bouncy sniffing cocker! He's only a baby but it can get a bit frustrating! I would continue to work hard on his obedience - sit, watch me, a walking watch, loose lead walking, recall and impulse control too. Lots of it at home then try it with low level distractions as the world is just too exciting for him at the moment!
I make both mine sit quietly before the lead goes on. If necessary, walk away and put the lead away until he gets the message. When you're out and he gets excited about things, walk away from the situation and get him to sit, get his attention then walk on. If he's reacting badly you are too close. This all takes time to click into place but sounds like you are doing well.
Cockers love sniffing so hide treats in the garden for him to sniff out -use up his mental energy which is just as important as physical energy.
In terms of running round the garden, I'd put him on a long line and when you recall him give a slight tug if he doesn't respond. Again it's working on the recall!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
your pup sounds very normal. They are all different but he is still a pup who won't really mature till he's 2 years old at least

You'll find you will sort one problem out then another appears - I say problem as there's nothing wrong with your pup but its our perception of their behaviour. My philosophy has often been that in my attempt to solve the problem I get somewhere in a couple of weeks or by then I don't worry as much as I did before so I chill more about it and over time work through it without the same urgency as when I began.

It takes time for a dog to bond with you properly so they begin to listen to you more and 17 weeks is probably too early

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mel X

• Mels Crafty Delights
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »
Hi there, you pup does sound very normal.  I've three cockers and two I've had from pups.  I used to put out the dried food for the day and not put it all down.  Instead I would put some down. It only after some training, get him to work for it.  The rest I give  as rewards so I could be sure I wasn't over feeding. 
The youngest, Charlie, was particularly challenging and energetic and I found hiding some of his and making him work for it worked a treat.  I could never tire him out with exercise but getting him to work his mind, even with simple sits and stays was really effective in tiring him.  It also helped us bond and made him think things thro, sometimes modifying his behaviour to get the reward - exhausting for a pupster as they work things out!!!  I also didn't leave toys lying about for him as he would get bored with them and find his own michief.  I wouldn't worry yet, everything's just very new and exciting for him.  Three cockers down the line I can honestly assure you things do get better, welcome to the cocker world  :D

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 08:41:53 PM »
Thanks for all  your responses, its reassuring to hear that this is normal behaviour and others have experienced similar things! He has done quiet well at training tonight and slowly things seem to be sinking in. He just gets ssoooo excited at training with all the other dogs and people, that he doesn't respond as well as he does at home. He just wants attention from everyone!

We will keep on with the sits, stay, down etc commands and hopefully we will have a better week this week!

Wish us luck!

Here's a photo taken this morning:

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »
Ohhhhhhh he's GORGEOUS!!!

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:19:39 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous.

Ellie is 11 years old now and came home from her breeder at 8 weeks old on the 30th December.  The first month she was home was cold, very cold.  Her breeder had sent her to her new home with a little fleece jacket which I put on her every time she went out into the garden.  Other than when it was dark we were usually out there for at least an hour a time.  She just loved being outside and nothing, but nothing, was going to bring her back inside.  Me and OH took turns, sometimes arguing 'it's your turn', 'no it's not I did the last one', 'no you didn't I did', etc.  Whoever was outside for an hour at a time was wrapped in multiple layers together with hat and gloves and the other one kept bringing hot drinks out.  Ellie was oblivious to all of this, she just loved hurtling around the garden in her little coat, digging plants up, digging craters in the lawn and thoroughly enjoying herself.

Once she was past the puppy stage her recall became brilliant and has remained the same.

It passes, honestly, it passes. 

Offline lescef

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
He's beautiful!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:08:29 AM »
Adorable little pup  :luv:

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
Awwwww he's gorgeous  :luv: :luv:
Dylan at eight months is pretty obedient at home now, but when we go to training class he is so excited it looks like we never do a thing with him, he is the boy a t the back of the class flicking ink blots :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »
Awwwww he's gorgeous  :luv: :luv:
Dylan at eight months is pretty obedient at home now, but when we go to training class he is so excited it looks like we never do a thing with him, he is the boy a t the back of the class flicking ink blots :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan

O'h tell me about it Lesley!! Every week I stand squirming as I watch a classful of labrador ladies sitting patiently for their turn to demonstrate what they've learned while Humphrey's pulling my arm out trying to get to the mouse holes. When its our turn, we usually raise a few smiles and sympathtic looks and I feel like an old LP repeating "he does it at home!". Then all these young "bitches" (very appropriate term!) give a little shake to get rid of the dirt they've accumulated from Humphrey jumping all over them and trot off back to the cars looking like  they did when they arrived, while Humphrey races off looking like he's just been dragged out of a mud hole!!!  Yep, these little lads are certainly "different"!! :005: :005:

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »
Such a gorgeous pup  :luv: :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mel X

• Mels Crafty Delights
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
Aww he's gorgeous  :luv: :luv: