Author Topic: It's a poo question  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Aridgey

It's a poo question
« on: February 08, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »
Hi we have 18 month show cocker, Ollie. He's having yellow mucus poo's and can sometimes have about 3 on a 30-40 minutes walk.  He's well in himself,happy playful in great condition coat wise every thing seems ok but somethings not right.
He's currently on boiled potatoes and white fish for couple of days- its only day 3 at the moment, no change yesterday when we went out but watching and waiting. He was on Arden grange chicken but recently change to lamb but seen no change hence the change to a bland diet as advised from an Arden grange nutritionist.
Just wondering if you've come across this before and what food is best if it's a sensitive tummy? Am I jumping the gun taking him to the vet?

Offline Markr64

• Donator
Re: It's a poo question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 01:00:37 PM »
You say that he is ok in himself, but has his drinking changed? If he is drinking more it could point to a number of things. But I think you should not jump to any conclusions and for peace of mind just have a quick vet visit. It is probably nothing but it is always best to have a check made.

As for the food it is down to what suits each dog, but you could try a probiotic additive which can help restore an upset tummy.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:51:26 PM »
Humphrey's being treated (again) for Giardia. Just a thought .....

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 07:03:42 PM »
I think I'd have him checked by the vet. It will put your mind at rest.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline rubybella

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
I was just reading up about Giardia and the article I read said that if you let your dog poo whilst out for a walk when it has Giardia the area can stay contaminated for up to a month!! It appears to be highly contagious, so you can see how easily dogs can pick up these things!

http://www.priory.com/vet/giardia.htm

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:11:46 PM »
It also thrives in cool damp conditions apparently, so this weather offers perfect conditions. This is his 2nd lot of treatment since xmas. He didn't have any symptoms, they were just picked up on a routine check.

Offline Aridgey

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »
Thanks everyone its great to get your advice.  He seems a lot better today going to give it another day on the bland diet and then gradually introduce Arden's sensitive food. He's drinking fine but keeping a close eye on him and will take him to the vets if no better on the dog food.  I really wish he could talk sometimes.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »
I think its best they can't - I know Humphrey would just never shut up!! (Moooom, look at me, look at me mom!! ...)! :005: :005: :005:

Offline Aridgey

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
Yeah now there's a point.  I think Ollie would be the same.