Author Topic: Coughing after GA  (Read 625 times)

Offline ANJ

• Otis 24.10.2010
Coughing after GA
« on: February 13, 2016, 07:41:24 AM »
Hi all,

Otis had a small lump removed and his teeth cleaned Wednesday last week.  When we got him home, he had a dry cough, which carried on approx. every ½ hour for the first 24 hours.  It started getting a bit better but it is still there.
I went to his post op yesterday evening and the vet said although it is not normal for this to occur after a GA it can happen.  It seems to be worse when he has slept for a while, so during the night and early morning.
Has anyone else experienced this after a GA?  If so, how long did it take to subside?  I seem to have read on line that it should just be a minor thing and subside very quickly....
Thanks xx

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Coughing after GA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »
Haven't experienced with my dogs but when I've had GA myself, I've often had a sore throat afterwards for a couple of days. The mouth and whole throat gets dry and irritated. Did the vet use anything to clean tne teeth with that might have caused irritation? I wouldn't imagine its anything to worry about induly but just keep an eye open and go back if it doesn't get any better.  :D

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 05:39:46 PM »
I would ring and ask your vet to be honest as its always worth checking for peace of mind if anything but agree re GA from a human perspective but don't know if same happens re dogs
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 05:50:34 PM »
I thought it was from the tube that was put down their throat and the throat would be sore and irritated for a while after (same for humans).  Should clear up within a few days though.

Is he OK otherwise?
Julie and Watson

Offline daw

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 06:04:36 PM »
Of course you should ask- but during GA saliva can fall back into the lungs and cause irritation- if tooth cleaning went on even more likely so it's maybe that. Hope it clears up soon.