Author Topic: sudden persistent barking at night!  (Read 919 times)

Offline Danp1981

sudden persistent barking at night!
« on: March 04, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on what could be the cause of this and how to deal with it?

I have a 12 month old female, who was spayed 2.5 months ago and she has just started barking when left alone downstairs at night. Never done this before until this week. The only change that has occurred recently is moving to adult food from junior/puppy. I've also noticed that she seems to have calmed down dramatically generally  (other than the barking at night) - instead of hours of activity during the day, she just lasts around 30 minutes and then wants to lay down and is disinterested.

Any thoughts on what might be the cause and how best to deal with the barking would be fantastic? 

Thanks a lot,

Dan

Offline daw

Re: sudden persistent barking at night!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 07:52:48 PM »
Just wondering if she's uncomfortable- maybe after her op? Also seems odd her activity level is so depressed for a one y.o. puppy. I'd certainly ask the vet to look at her asap and maybe consider UTI- or at least rule it out ? Can make them feel they want to go urgently even when they don't. Also is very painful and will need treatment.   

Offline AlanT

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 08:47:15 PM »
Is it possible your dog is feeling cold?

Mine will bark "mysteriously" when he comes back from swimming.

Peace returns if you do this:

Offline Danp1981

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 09:51:35 PM »
Cheers for the replies.

I'm pretty sure she's fit and healthy. I have a dog flap that she can use during the night, so I can confidently rule out the UTI. I might get her checked out for any health problems though to be on the safe side.

AlanT - lol, but I think you could be spot on!  I've let her sleep upstairs these last few nights and she's been absolutely fine. However, my other half isn't happy and now I have another problem to deal with!

Seriously though, I'm equally concerned about her calming down generally too. I'm going to get her checked out at the vets for some peace of mind.

Thanks a lot,

Offline AlanT

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
If you had a pack of these outside, they would cuddle up for warmth.
One, alone on cold night, might well bark or howl.

You can get "solid" hot-water bottles you put in a microwave. Works on mine.

My dog is very calm for a spaniel.

I trained this by encouraging mad times by joining in and using the command "spaniels", "squirrels" works also.
But I also trained "calm" at the same time.

Now I can turn on crazy times and then turn them off. This is actually amusing and I have promised to try to video this. This really works, because these two things become part of the job.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 12:01:31 PM »
 ;), Alan, you've mentioned this before, - would really LOVE to see you in action!! I did actually try it with Humphrey but he got so hyper and I didn't know how to calm him down again!! Its a brilliant idea though!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:15:09 PM »
I know but this is really hard to video. Be easy if I had a camera-man.

I'm waiting to do it outside on a warm day.

Camera, tripod, short of space, crazy dog. What could go wrong?

Also he's 2 now and it's hard to work up a really good zoomy. But on a warm spring day he should go for it.
Especially if he's had a hair-cut.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 01:26:24 PM »
 :005: