Author Topic: Black to Blue  (Read 2979 times)

Offline blackpug

Black to Blue
« on: May 07, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »
Angel is nearly 5 and is getting more like a blue roan as she gets older. As a puppy she was pure black. Her mother was black and dad was red. Her pedigree consists of solid dogs??  :huh: Is this normal?

Black 'Angel' and Sable 'Willow'.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Black to Blue
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
I'm not really up on breeding, so can't comment on that, but would guess that rather than going 'blue roan' she is going grey. She looks very like my Ben who is solid black but was very grey on his face, ears, and legs by the time he was 5. I was surprised at how early it started but I quite like the look.
Harry in contrast also black has hardly a grey hair on him at 6.

I was told it was because I had clipped him quite short from a young age, don't know if that is true or not. Angel looks gorgous a very pretty girl  :luv:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »
All blacks have the odd white hairs. Some lines do seem to have more than others. Especially as they get older. :)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:12:27 PM »
This is strange - I met someone on our walk thismorning with a lovely black boy called Charlie. She said she thinks he is turning blue roan because he has quite a lot of white appearing in his sides. He looks as though he has brushed against some wet paint.  :shades: I said I thought he was going grey rather than turning roan but she said he is only two so that can't be. I have no idea how early grey can start to appear but I suggested she join COL to get an answer. I thought you might be her when I saw your post!

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »
I have no idea how early grey can start to appear but I suggested she join COL to get an answer.

Ben was about 18 mths when the first grey appeared on his ears and face. 

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:49:41 PM »
I think she's going grey. It's usually the ears and muzzle first and, a bit like humans, the age it starts can vary a lot. My black Cocker from many years ago had virtually no grey hairs until he was 8 or 9, whereas my blue roan and tan boy's black ears have a lot of grey in them and he's only 5. His mother was the same.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 02:20:59 PM »
Yes Angel is going grey - perfectly normal sign of ageing but as in humans, some dogs go grey earlier than others :D
Jane