Author Topic: When your Dog is bitten- what's your reaction?  (Read 768 times)

Offline Smckenry

When your Dog is bitten- what's your reaction?
« on: May 20, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
Hi all, my little 12 week old Luna was bitten today on her 2nd walk out in the big world
- more info here near the bottom: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=114393.0

It got me thinking, what's the general consensus on what you should say to the owner of the dog who bites? I know that realistically dogs are animals, uncontrollable and these things will happen, but what would you say to the owner in the situation?

Perhaps you have been the owner of a dog who has done the biting? Or your dog was bitten and you had a good or bad response from the owner?

Would like to hear others' thoughts on this!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: When your Dog is bitten- what's your reaction?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 03:53:44 PM »
Smckenry, I've copied what you posted on the other thread here, just because it makes it easier to follow :D:

"I read this post a week or so ago, and I just wanted to come back and say thank yo for posting it.

Because today little Luna was attacked by another dog, on her second walk out in the big wide world, and had I not have read your pot and its replies, I would not have known how to handle it.

It was really horrible- this dog was on the lead (as was Luna) and one minute they were sniffing each other, and the next Luna was flying through the air attached to this other dog's mouth. Thy were trashing around so much I couldn't pull them apart and once he finally let go her cowering and crying really broke my heart. I was so shocked I didn't even know what to say to the other owner (she was a teenager). All I managed was 'does he usually do that?!' to which she replied no, but I don't think I believe her, and I could see her holding back and going in different directions to all other dogs walkers in the park.

But anyway, I managed to get hereunto my arms and walk away (telling the other owner she was strictly to wait a while before following us out of the park) and then remembered this post. After walking a way's away, I popped her back on the ground and made a big fuss of her walking alongside me, gave her some treats and lots of praise etc. We saw a few other dogs on our way out that she seemed interested in so thank goodness she isn't wary of everyone now. Straight int the car for a quick check over at the vets- which I think she actually enjoyed as she got even more fussed over and more treats  :005:

I'm going to try going back to the same place later on this afternoon to show her that its not so scary- wish me luck!

But anyway thank you again for your original post! I'm sorry it happened but a least a little bit of good has come from it  :luv:"

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
Hi all, my little 12 week old Luna was bitten today on her 2nd walk out in the big world
- more info here near the bottom: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=114393.0

It got me thinking, what's the general consensus on what you should say to the owner of the dog who bites? I know that realistically dogs are animals, uncontrollable and these things will happen, but what would you say to the owner in the situation?

Perhaps you have been the owner of a dog who has done the biting? Or your dog was bitten and you had a good or bad response from the owner?

Would like to hear others' thoughts on this!

Sorry to read of your and Luna's unfortunate experience. I haven't had a full-on biting episode but Barney has been growled/snapped at ( and B has had his moment too) so can only give my opinion based on what my response would be if things escalated on either side.

If in the unlikely event that Barney physically attacked another dog I would offer my details and agree to pay for your vet to examine your dog and treat as necessary.....plus at least a bunch of flowers and a note to apologise.

I would expect the same courtesy if the boot was on the other foot, after all, you are at least incurring costs with the vet to take a look and it could result in more expensive treatment which you won't know until he/she is examined.

Sadly, in this modern world, I anticipate being dealt a different suit if the worst happened.!!

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 05:28:09 PM »
That sounds awful - a proper attack and not just a squaring up or stealth bite.  If my dog did that I would be seriously concerned and would do as Barnfind has stated plus get my dog to a behaviourist straight away.  I think your response was very restrained.  I hope Luna continues to be okay.

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
Hi Stephanie,
I would do as the others have said, I think, it is the least a responsible dog owner should do, if it is their dog(s) which have caused any injuries. providing of course it was an unprovoked attack ;) I hope Luna is no worse for her ordeal  and is getting plenty of cuddles  :luv:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum